PK56

Apr 13, 2017
Metairie, LA
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
I live in the deep south - New Orleans (no freezing worries) and am toying with keeping my pool going all year. Every spring I seem to end up draining the whole thing and starting over. This year I have realized the low costs of keeping a clean pool using tfp method. Also bought a timer and hooked it up myself (yay me) so I won't have to run the filter 24-7. However, my local Walmart -- where I was buying my liquid chlorine -- has already taken it off the shelves in place of Christmas decorations! (Yes in sept I am appalled)
Anyway, some questions:
1. If I decide to do this, where can I buy my chlorine -- or will I need to resort to household bleach?
2. Is this a bad idea and should I just consider a new cover? Last year I used the permeable water will get through but nothing else --what a joke. In the past I have used one that completely covered the pool, but with all the leaves dropped - we have fall all winter (deep south remember) the weight of them pushed most of the water out, or at least low enough that I just drained the rest.
I did buy one of those battery run vacuums that is awesome and a new leaf catcher net and my hubby who just retired promised to fish out leaves for me since in the winter it's dark during the week when I am home, so I think I'm all set.

Anyway, anyone have a year-round source for reasonably priced 10% bleach, or a bad story that will dissuade me from this course? Thanks!

It is certainly possible as long as you don't have temps below freezing for any extended period of time. But your operational costs would be much more than just replacing the water. Also, even if your water is a swamp when you open it up, you can still SLAM to get it back to TFP standards in a short amount of time and money. Keeping it running and using up electricity, chlorine, and the effort of maintenance seems like an inefficient idea.

I'm in FL and my pool is open all year, I heat it with solar so I have to run my motor more in the winter. If you cover it when it's cool, you will use very little FC and keep it warmer for when you want to use it.

I have a SWG so finding chlorine is never an issue but all our pool stores are open all year down here, I would think the same in New Orleans...

Walmarts up here have 8.25% bleach in the cleaning area. From what I understand your FC demand will go down as the days get shorter so you won't need as much as you did during the summer.

I prefer a solid cover with a cover pump to the mesh covers because they seem to let a lot of dirt into the pool. I think either one would work for you since you have the new vacuum and someone willing to remove leaves.

Just shift your pump to run late at night until sun up, and if you get an ice storm or freezing weather, make sure you run it until temps warm back up.

Check Home Depot/Lowes for chlorine, or you can check your local pool store to see if they sell liquid chlorine, Otherwise, 8.25% plain unscented bleach from Target/Walmart is fine too.

I'm in Georgia and have never even thought of closing my pool. Once the water temp drops to the point where the SWG stops, I use Walmart cleaning bleach when I need to up the FC. It's only 6% but at $1.77 I can't complain. Also, the math works easy for me. Every 10ozs gives me an increase of 1 ppm FC

I have always got my bleach from a bulk chemical supplier so it's availability is not seasonal and it is a higher concentration.
I never close my pool.
When water temp is 60 or below the FC consumption gets really low.
I also go onto a shorter filter cycle once leaves have stopped dropping.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Same here. In the Galveston, TX area. I shorten my pump duration, except for those 1 to 3 times it gets below freezing, then it runs during the freezing times. Honestly, closing the pool never occurred to me. I think you will be just fine.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.