Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Chemicals and our SWG's

1. Back To Top    #1

Chemicals and our SWG's

Are there any chemicals that I should look out for that could harm my SWG cell?

Thanks!
    63,000 litre IG Vinyl Pool. 16 x 32 Gemini. Zeobrite filled sand filter. Zodiac Duo Clear 130 Salt System, Hayward Pool Heater.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Chemicals and our SWG's

The most important thing is to keep the CH level under control. If CH is high, and PH gets high, you can get calcium scaling. Calcium scaling will reduce the efficiency of the SWG cell and if there is too much scaling over a longer period of time it could shorten the cell life.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Also, it is CRITICAL for the CYA to be in the range recommended by your SWG vendor. The consensus on TFP is that you will have trouble maintaining CL if it is too low.
    20 x 40 vinyl IG. SWG. Solar. Ikeric VS pump.

4. Back To Top    #4

Welcome to TFP!!

I've read that excessive use of sulfides (or sulfates) can damage the plates in the cell So I would recommend using muriatic acid for lowering the pH
    Luv& Luk
    -Ted

Having done construction and service for 4 pool companies in 4 states starting in 1988, what I know about pools could fill a couple of books - what I don't know could fill a couple of libraries :-D

POOL SCHOOL, TF Testkits, Jason's Pool Calculator, CYA vs. cl chart, (Just a few DARNED handy links!)

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by waste
    Welcome to TFP!!

I've read that excessive use of sulfides (or sulfates) can damage the plates in the cell So I would recommend using muriatic acid for lowering the pH
    also, non chlorine shock (MPS) is also a source of sufates as is the dry acid (sodium bisulfate) that waste indirectly referred to by saying to use muriatic acid for pH control.

6. Back To Top    #6

Thanks, Evan!

I'm certainly NOT a chemist (but from reading your and Richards posts - I've picked up a little -- I think it was PatL's advice I most remember for this )
    Luv& Luk
    -Ted

Having done construction and service for 4 pool companies in 4 states starting in 1988, what I know about pools could fill a couple of books - what I don't know could fill a couple of libraries :-D

POOL SCHOOL, TF Testkits, Jason's Pool Calculator, CYA vs. cl chart, (Just a few DARNED handy links!)

7. Back To Top    #7

I have actually been using sodium bisulfate to lower my PH. Thanks for the heads up!!
    63,000 litre IG Vinyl Pool. 16 x 32 Gemini. Zeobrite filled sand filter. Zodiac Duo Clear 130 Salt System, Hayward Pool Heater.