SWG question while shocking

I'm not sure what you mean by "when it comes time for me to shock", but I wanted to point out that as long as you can follow the chlorine cya chart, which is easy with an swg, you shouldn't really ever have to shock. This is assuming good filtration, circulation and brushing.

Reebok: I do not have to shock nor have I had to shock yet. I was just asking this question so that I could be knowledgeable if and when that time comes. We have only had this pool for two and a half months so I am just trying to educate myself for all circumstances.

Currently my CYA is at 70 and FC is at 3, which is right in line at the moment.

Thanks too both of you for replying!! :goodjob:

The few times I've had a problem, I boost my SWG output while adding bleach at the same time. In my case, the cool weather cut my high speed run time down (I have it set up so my multi-speed pump runs slow unless the solar is running) which reduced the amount of chlorine in the pool.

The bleach gives me an immediate CL boost to fight the cloudiness and bumping up my SWG increases the run time which increases the time that the "shock" level in the SWG cell is working. So far, it has worked for me.

gotcha, just be careful since you're at the exact minimum fc level.
tphaggerty: the only problem I see with this is shortened cell life. if you use bleach/chlorine only to shock (without increasing your swg %) you will have an increased cell life. of course the increased life may be measured in only minutes, just depends on how often you do that.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.