No Electricity For A Week, Green Pool

Mar 8, 2016
Orlando, FL
I hope you all can help. We left town during the hurricane Irma and turned off the electricity. When we came home after a week the pool was very green with tadpoles. My son got the tadpoles out, and we turned on the pump. He also pulled out some debris, but we can't see the bottom to know what is there. We have put in a half a jug of acid and two 2.5 gallon jugs of bleach. The pool is still very green. How can I get my marcite pool back to its beautiful blue water?

Great! Keep using the pool rake to scoop debris out of the pool, even if you are scooping blind. It will help speed up the slam process if the debris is gone. Post a complete set of test results and we can help you get started on your slam.

Oh, I'm sure that Houston still has a very long way to go with all of the flooding. Very sad situation. Our Orlando storm was just a lot of wind. I lost a tree.

Today, I went to Leslie's. They tried to talk me into getting the powder, but I got liquid bleach. I'm not starting the process until tomorrow. Exhaustion has taken it's toll. They tested the water. I'll report tomorrow before I start. We are running the pump 24/7, and starting to see some clearing. I need to add a bit more acid tomorrow, and I bought some CYA to add. My son is going to gather debris with the net and clean the pump filter. He will also brush the sides.

Okay, I think that this is going to take some time. I started with two socks full of CYA this afternoon. This evening the CYA level isn't showing in the test. I guess that it will take a few days to register even though I have been squeezing the socks. I also added a half jug of acid to bring the PH down, but decided to wait until CYA level is 30 before adding more. Pump is running 24/7 and my son brushed the sides and got out debris. I'll check it tomorrow for 30 on CYA, and then get the PH to 7.2.

Wondering if I should just use that powder shock the pool store sells?

Once the CYA powder is completely dissolved from the sock, you should be able to test it in the water 24 hours after. Though no real need to test, if you put it in and you know the size of your pool, the CYA is in there.

If you need to SLAM - do it. Base the shock level on the CYA you added. Lower the pH to 7.2 first, if necessary.

Take care.

Here are my test results from Leslie's yesterday:

FAC .25
TAC .25
CH 240
CYA 20
TA 90
PH 8
TDS 2400
PHo 250
no copper nor iron
acid demand 1

I put in a half gallon of muriatic acid today after the test, but did not test again yet.
My pool is between 17,000 and 20,000 gallons and is marcite.
When I tested for CYA, I did not even get ten. Leslie's says 20.

Also, I'll be using Leslie's liquid bleach. What is the percentage of bleach in their liquid that is sold there?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Here are my test results from Leslie's yesterday:

FAC .25
TAC .25
CH 240
CYA 20
TA 90
PH 8
TDS 2400
PHo 250
no copper nor iron
acid demand 1

I put in a half gallon of muriatic acid today after the test, but did not test again yet.
My pool is between 17,000 and 20,000 gallons and is marcite.
When I tested for CYA, I did not even get ten. Leslie's says 20.

Also, I'll be using Leslie's liquid bleach. What is the percentage of bleach in their liquid that is sold there?
Could you please post a complete set of test results from your K2006? We don't have much faith in pool $tore testing.

Chlorine needs to be your number 1 concern at this point. Assume the bleach is 10% and dose the pool up to a FC of 10ppm, check in 15 min to verify (pump running of course). While you are at FC of 10ppm or less, you should get your pH down to 7.2-7.4. Keep FC at 9-10ppm until you reach pH target.

I don't know how you got 10ppm for CYA with the Taylor view tube, but add enough CYA using the sock method to add 20ppm, check CYA the day after it is all dissolved. If it still doesn't show on the test, add 10ppm more. Once you are at a CYA of 30ppm be sure to adjust FC to 12ppm for the SLAM.

I think I over did it. I poured in a 2.5 gallon jug of bleach from Leslie's. I just tested after about 1.5 hours, and I'm showing 24 FC and over 8 CC. I tested my ph before adding bleach and it was about 6.8. CYA was about 20, socks are still in the pool. I'll test again in an hour or so.

Is there a problem with over doing it other than wasting bleach?

I think I over did it. I poured in a 2.5 gallon jug of bleach from Leslie's. I just tested after about 1.5 hours, and I'm showing 24 FC and over 8 CC. I tested my ph before adding bleach and it was about 6.8. CYA was about 20, socks are still in the pool. I'll test again in an hour or so.

Is there a problem with over doing it other than wasting bleach?
Not only are you wasting bleach, FC that high with such a low CYA is very harsh on the pool & equipment.

Are you sure about that 8ppm of CC's? That is an abnormally high level.

2.5 gallons of 12.5% bleach would only add 14ppm to FC in your 22,000 gallon pool. What was the FC level before you added the bleach?

Well, I got it more precise today. Last night, was too dark to see good enough to test. Here is the latest: My son brushed the sides early this morning, and he cleaned out the filter. The pool smells like sulfer, but it is turning more blue. I misread the CYN. It is not even at 20. Socks are still in the pool. The FC is at 12 and pH is 7.2. I also misread the CC. It is now about 0. I'll test in an hour, and add more bleach if necessary.

I should also add that the pool is closer to 20,000 gallons, but couldn't edit my signature to show that.

Thank you, everyone, for the help. This is my first time to fix a green pool.

Just tested again: CYA in full sun is still not up to 20, but socks still in water. I squeezed them a few more times. The FC is at 9 now. The CC is about zero. The pool is starting to show signs of life. The sulfer smell is gone and the water is starting to turn blue/green although still somewhat cloudy. I added about a pint of bleach just in case my CYA test was not right. I'll test again in a few hours.

Another test:

FC went down to 8. Hot sunny day in Orlando. I added about a quart of bleach. Pool is cloudy but blue, so it is coming along. Son brushed an algae spot in the shallow end. It looks like it will be okay in a day or two. Many thanks again to everyone and for all of the articles in the Pool School.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.