hairline crack in gunite pool

Hi everyone, I have noticed the last 3-4 yrs a hairline crack in our plaster/gunite pool. It is very tight, cant hardly get a fingernail to stop in it but its there none the less. Today, with goggles, I looked over most of my pool and saw another hairline crack on the far end. Both cracks seem to start at the top of the plaster, right under the tile work, and they both extend down in the water maybe 3-4 feet. Should I be concerned or is this a normal occurance. My pool is about 7 yrs old and I do think at least one of the small cracks has been there for 3-4 yrs at least. At this point I am pretty sure no water can escape but should I think about doing something now or just wait and see what happens over the next few years ?? Thanks for you input.

As long as you're not loosing water, I'd just keep an eye on it for now. Odds are that anything you did to cover the cracks would look at least as bad as the hairline cracks :(

If it's something you just can't live with, by all means, replaster the pool. If you go that route, any structural problems could be addressed at the same time - but it means down time for the pool and we're in the middle of the swim season.

DO try to keep an eye on your water level - if you suspect you are loosing an abnormally large amount of water (for use, backwashing and evaporation) - check out the leak detection article in Pool School, report your findings here and we'll advise :cool: :)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.