Ignition Failure

andymo

Jun 7, 2009
This forum is just GREAT!

I am facing the same problem of IF (Ignition Failure).
Can anyone help me how to check the following:

gas pressure (check for low pressure)
flame sensor/igniter wiring
gas valve wiring

To clean should I take off the top or front panel? what should I try to clean?

Sorry if these are stupid questions, but I am new pool owner and learning the basics.

Thanks much,
Andy

Re: Hayward H400 Ignition Failure

Hey Andy....welcome! I had a HVAC neighbor come and test the gas pressure coming into the gas valve and going out (I don't own a manometer to test gas pressure). Both tested fine. My ignitor worked, but used a second one to verify the flame sensor was working (both are combined into one piece). I had cleaned and checked all of the switches and everything else. He pretty much verified that everything was working like it should. The only thing left was the circuit board. Plugged in a new one and it fired up the first time. I did take the top off (not much there to clean) and cleaned all around the front. Found lots of bark that had fallen in the sides from the previous owner's landscaping. It's not a complicated unit, but don't get me wrong, it can still be very dangerous if you're not use to working with gas!

Re: Hayward H400 Ignition Failure

I had the same issue that other have had and spent the day trouble shooting on a 12 yo h400. As others have mentioned the gas nozzles were clogged by insects. I took the whole thing apart which required disconnecting the gas valve. Rather than disconnect everything next time I will blindly clean out the nozzles first without disconnecting anything using a pipe cleaner. This would have saved me about 2 hours of work.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.