Why do you say not to use the mineral cartridge

Jul 20, 2009
Hi there!

Just a quick question for Waterbear?

Why do you say not to use the mineral cartridge? I ask as I get a lifetime cell warranty if I replace this cartridge at the beginning of every season.

If I were not to use the mineral cartridge, what would I put in its place? I hope this is not a silly question, as I am a young pup when it comes to maintaining a pool. We have just had our very first pool installed this May and enjoying every single minute of it.

I wanted to mention what a wonderful and resourceful site this has been. I have done a lot of reading from this site and have implemented all recommendations from it. And, my pool is crystal clear. :party:

Thanks and looking forward to your response!!!!

Re: zodiac duoclear preferred water chemistry readings

cbowman78 said:
Why do you say not to use the mineral cartridge?

If you read the articles Waterbear linked to, you will see why he says that. The cartridge is putting metals into your pool - you don't want that.

I think you can just leave it empty. As for the warranty, I'm not sure what to tell you. The minerals are not going to keep the cell from malfunctioning. Seems to me that's just a gimmick to get you to buy the cartridges.

Sorry, I missed the first link but I have read the others. :hammer:

I think it is just a gimmick as well. I have no idea what importance the mineral cartridge has to the cell to give me a lifetime warranty on it. It does not make any sense.

I appreciate your input.

Hi, its just me again! lol

Can someone please help me understand why the metals are bad in the pool a side from staining(Which I do not want)? Has anyone ever had anyone problems with staining from the Nature 2 cartridges?

I just ask because I would like to keep my lifetime warranty on the electrode (They retail here for $800-900 a piece). As per this link, I have to purchase an N2 cartridge every six months or every spring here in Canada. Pg. 34, http://www.zpc.ca/e/manual/DuoClear130_ENG.pdf

Will the metals continue to accumulate year after year with repetitive cartridge replacements, or will some of them gradually dissipate?

I am being told the average life span on an electrode is 5 years? Is this correct? I guess I can just buy the mineral cartridges for the warranty and just not use the cartridge, but that seems like a huge waste!!

Replacement electrode = $900
5 years of cartridges = $500

I would save myself appoximately $400 every 5 years by purchasing the cartridges if in fact the electrode needs to be replaced at approximately 5 years.

Any opinions?

Yes, five years is a good guess. In real life it might be significantly less or more than that, you never know. You can get the DuoClear replacement electrode for around $500 these days, though who knows what it will cost in five years.

I kind of doubt that they will honor the replacement electrode promise, but if you believe them, then it might be worth it to keep using the mineral cartridges. Yes, people really do get unsightly stains from using those cartridges, not very often, but it does happen. You are most at risk if your PH goes way up. If you can keep your PH under control it isn't usually a problem. One of the big disadvantages of the cartridges is that they don't give you any control over the metal level, so it might be too low or too high. If it is too high, there can be problems. It is actually more common for it to be too low, but you have no easy way of telling.

Wow, that's an interesting warranty. Do you cut and send in your UPC's like they say to do? It does say "...or every spring start up" so you could always get away with annual purchases. You could also not use them, keep the newest one in stock and ebay the old one as you purchase the next so that you always have the newer one on hand just in case. Not that I'm recommending it...

And as for your staining question, I've never seen staining caused by a N2 and they get sold extensively around here. Not to say it can't or doesn't happen (see Jason's post), but you're talking about small amounts of copper and silver which you'd regularly be diluting since you have a sand filter. I think they're useless and expensive gimmicks, but haven't seen them cause any problems (aside from spa N2's getting stuck in filters...). I don't think they make a blank cap for you to replace it with, so you'd at least have to use one just to seal the vessel correct?

I'd also concur with Jason's skepticism about them honoring the warranty. They're not the best at covering warranties on new products, nevermind 5 year old ones.

The copper WILL turn blonde hair green, and white dogs' hair green. (happened to me, my friends/family hair too, with my Frog system (mineral ionizer like the N2.) Some of the plastic parts on my pool are discolored from my ionizer days...well, I assume the discoloration is from that. I don't know what else it could be from. I have a typical waterline ring around the perimeter of the liner that is brown/blackish, which I have been told is copper staining, it did not come off with a magic eraser.

cbowman78 said:
..... Has anyone ever had anyone problems with staining from the Nature 2 cartridges?
I just ask because I would like to keep my lifetime warranty on the electrode (They retail here for $800-900 a piece). As per this link, I have to purchase an N2 cartridge every six months or every spring here in Canada. Pg. 34, http://www.zpc.ca/e/manual/DuoClear130_ENG.pdf

I have a newer pool as well and am in Ontario .... i have decided to skip the mineral cartridge replacement this year (its second season) after reading up a bit on them. I just have left the old one in place. I have a 18x32 pool (62500 l/16,500 us gal). I am presently running it for about 10-12 hours per day with the Zodiac DuoClear130 "green light " level at 3 (of 5)..... no problems balancing so far. The "130" is good for pools 60-130,000 litres so i expect i have lots of headroom..... i am looking to reduce the run time ..... occasionally going down to 8 hours now.

KC

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.