Need advice for repair after hail storm

May 1, 2007
Denver, Colorado
We had a doozie of a storm the other night that included hail and tornadoes. I'm left with 3 leaks in two of my solar panels. I'm sure the fix is an easy one...I just don't know that it is. I've got to keep them on to warm the water after 4" of hail. Help!

Shelley, I hope that this is the only damage from hail and tornadoes! :)

Though I've never done it, there is a way to weld soft plastic like that to repair small leaks like the ones you pictured. My understanding is that you need the same type plastic and 'solder' it on.

I read about it on PF. If no one else offers info on this, bump this thread tomorrow and I'll see if I can't link the info for you (I know the author -CarlD- and will use 'weld' as a first search term :cool: )

Thanks for the leg work Hotrod! My panels are approx. 9 x 4 so are a pretty unique size. They were imported from a company in Australia I believe that is no longer in business. My last resort will be to cut and plug as we all know we don't want to be doing that unless we HAVE to. I wonder if marine grade silicone will work? After all, it's just a little glue and a patch that can keep 11,000 gallons of water in a bag right? If it were drip irrigation, the storm would have plugged the hole, but it's not supposed to drip, so now it does. Geeze.

PoolSystem019-1.jpg

I think the hail hit the ring around the hard plastic that inserts into the soft rubber and made a nick in it. Even though there are 2 rings on each fitting. I don't think there is any damage to the soft rubber.

Waste - A tad more damage:

029-1.jpg

027-1.jpg

If those tubes are plastic use a 2 part 5 min epoxy after the lines are drained . It will seal those holes up with NP. If they are metal use a resin core solder and some solder paste .use the solder paste over the hole and melt the solder on to the hole like a weld.Simple fix really.

The epoxy fix does not work - we tried it on some Sun Grabbers we had some time back that suffered the same fate from hail. We had a few holes like that. The pressure from the water apparently was just too great. The panels were drained, blown out, allowed to dry for 2 weeks and glued. The expoxy did not hold and they soon leaked again. We ended up with new panels (which I like better anyways) I think the method from PF would be better.

Been a while since I posted here.

I've struggled with welding panels myself. If the plastic is meltable, you can use a clean soldering iron to seal it. Find some place on the panel you can safely cut some plastic off of--there's usually SOME place you can find. Melt the panel and then melt the "solder" into it. Try not to make additional holes. Sadly, just a surface patch weld won't hold. At best it will slow the leak. You have to go deeper which is risky. But there's really no other way. There are plastic welding kits but the cheapest are about $125 to $150. The expensive ones run into the hundreds or thousands. Still, a clean soldering iron can do it.

I have to make one correction: For metal soldering, you NEVER apply the heat to the solder--you heat the part and let it melt the solder. Also, if you are fixing ANYTHING using water that may contact living things (like people) you must use lead-free solder and plumber's flux...I just sweat-soldered in several new cut-off valves for some sinks in my house where the old ones had rotted out, so it's fresh in my mind. I've also done lots of electronics soldering so I'm aware of that kind of rosin-core lead-based soldering as well.

But plastic soldering/welding is much harder. Good Luck!

CarlD

If you suspect you are going to replace the pannel i would try this. Try removing that tube and see if the Nipple its connected to is Broke OR if its just that tube.you may be able to Split that tube and add a new section of tube.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Vistal said:
If you suspect you are going to replace the pannel i would try this. Try removing that tube and see if the Nipple its connected to is Broke OR if its just that tube.you may be able to Split that tube and add a new section of tube.

Attachments

• PoolLeak.jpg
    PoolLeak.jpg
    108.8 KB · Views: 154
Fafco seems to be the big dog in this arena. They have several different products to choose from. I think I get it that these are the ones designed for above-ground pools. Is the only difference a built in diverter? If that is the case I can avoid that as I have a diverter in my plumbing. I can't find that they make an 8x 4 or similar. Does anyone know?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.