Thinking of installing SWG, and I have some questions

Mar 4, 2017
Fullerton, CA
Like more than a few people, it seems, I'm tempted by the convenience of a SWG versus the whole "jugs of chlorine" routine. I'll be asking our pool guy for a quote on installation soon, but first I want to make sure I understand what I need/want.

Beyond the sig -- My sig says a ~22k pool and a 1.5hp single-speed pump. The 22k is a VERY rough estimate, as my pool's kidney shape and attached spa make the geometry tricky for this English major. I also don't know exact depths.

As for the pump, I'll be upgrading to a Pentair SuperFlo VS in a couple weeks as part of a set of home energy-efficiency upgrades.

SWG "size" -- My understanding is that I should aim for a SWG that's rated for roughly 2x my actual pool volume. This should allow for shorter daily run times and give proportionally longer cell life, as I understand it. Given the above, should I be looking at the IntelliChlor IC60? I'm not sure what my RPM schedule will be for the SuperFlo, but I'd like to run it at low speed as much as possible while still running it at higher RPMs enough for my pool cleaner (and SWG) to keep the pool clean. I assume that the RPM/GPM necessary to run the cleaner should also be sufficient flow for the SWG and vice versa.

Other equipment -- It sounds like it can use the intermatic timer that my pump is attached to? (That is, assuming the timer won't be needed for the pump once the upgrade to the SuperFlo is complete.)

What else is needed? Power supply and such?

Chemical costs -- Liquid chlorine costs should drop to zero, but acid will go up, it sounds like. Is it safe to assume that the increased acid costs won't be close to what my current chlorine costs are?

Maintenance -- Add salt every once in a while, keep a close eye on pH and CH, and replace the cell after a number of years. Is that it? Are there any types of failure that these units are prone to?

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide. I just started reading up today, and this has been a whole lot of info to try and take in at once.... :confused:

Last edited:
Here's a chart to compare some models, I would get a 60K at least, it's not the GPM that determines your size it's the amount of chlorine the SWG can generate. If you get one sized the same as your pool it's based on running 24 hours a day, so the larger you get the less run time needed and the longer your cells will last. Mine is almost 4x my pool and I can run it probably as low as 2 hours a day if I wanted.

Chemical costs will vary. I need to replace stabilizer (CYA) salt, and calcium (CH) on occasion (a lot recently because of hurricane Irma). You will most likely need MA but it's cheap and you should need less as your TA stabilizes.

Almost everyone on this site says they would never go back once they get a SWG, they are really awesome to maintain in my limited experience so far

Gozu,

I am a highly biased Pentair kind of guy, but I would not go with the Pentair IC60 unless you plan on having automation. With automation, it is important to have the same brand of equipment for your pump, your SWCG, and the automation system.

Without automation, you are free to use the components you choose. If you are not planning on automation I would take a hard look at the CircuPool RJ60... See here.. https://www.discountsaltpool.com/CircuPool-RJ-60-Salt-Chlorine-Generator_p_190.html?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIsef31rij1gIVSLbACh2Z7wq0EAQYAiABEgLUE_D_BwE

The IC60 only produces 2 lbs. of chlorine per day, while the RJ60 produces 3.1 lbs. per day. More chlorine means less pump run time or longer cell life..

For reference, I have a SWCG and the IntelliFlo and run it at 1,200 RPM 95% of the time... Running at that speed only uses 175 watts and even running 24/7 it costs less than $20 bucks a month. It is a GREAT pump by the way...

Thanks,

Jim R.

G,

Just so there are no surprises... Salt cells do not work when the water temp gets down below 55 or 60 degrees... In the winter you will still need to add liquid chlorine, but in the winter, the FC use rate is way down, so it is not much of an issue.

Yes, you can use your timer to control the SWCG, so that it when the pump is off the power is removed from the salt system. It turns out this is not a requirement for the CircuPool cell, but is it a good common sense safety feature.

Thanks for the site! So is the RJ worth the price difference?

Well the SJ55 outputs 2.35lb CL and the SJ60 outputs 3.10lb CL. That alone is a big difference. The RJ therefore should last longer as you can run it less and on lower power. That alone might make the price differential worth it.

The SJ can only adjust in 25% increments. The RJ can adjust in 1% increments. The RJ also has built-in real time salinity and temperature reading.

Based on all these, the difference is definitely more than justified and "worth it" IMHO. Having said that, if money is tight, SJ55 is more than adequate.

Man, I love this place. :)

Okay, given the price tag, I'm going to need some help with the Wife Tolerance Factor.

Reliability: Given that there aren't any moving parts, and given that the warranty on the RJ-60 is 5 years (7 for the Plus), things look like they should be pretty rock-solid. Any concerns/gotchas to be aware of?

Lifespan: The RJ-60+ has a cell that's rated for 15,000 hours. Assuming that's accurate, if I run the SWG 4 hours a day, the cell will last over 10 years(!). (Longer, because, as Jimrahbe pointed out, I won't be running it for at least parts of the winter.) Is that a reasonable expectation?

Regarding CircuPool specifically, is the RJ-60+ worth the premium over the vanilla RJ-60? (Seems like it would be for the longer cell life and warranty if nothing else...)

Also, Jimrahbe, can you elucidate on why the timer isn't strictly necessary for the RJ series? CircuPool's website notes "Independent flow switch coordinates chlorination with pump schedule," but, um, I don't quite grok what the "independent flow switch" is or does.

Thank you all for the great replies. I really would be in the weeds (or, worse, the pool store) without you folks.

Last edited:
G,

All the major brands of salt cells require you to remove the power to the controller when the pump is off as the Primary safety device to prevent the cell from producing chlorine gas when there is no water flow. As a Secondary safety device the salt system also has a flow switch which will not close unless there is water flowing through the pipes.

In the old days this was not an issue as you simply connected the salt system to the same timer as the pump... When the pump was on, the salt system was on..

With a VS pump this is not the case, as the pump has constant AC power. CircuPool, just says it is ok to use the flow switch as the only safety device...

The pump has an internal timer for running the pump's schedule, but it will not control the salt cell. What most people do is use an external timer, as the Primary safety device, to ensure the cell is off during the same time period the pump is scheduled to be off.

Just depends on how safety conscious you are.. The likelihood of a failure, when using the flow switch as the only safety device, is pretty low, just not zero.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I'm looking at this too. I'm between the SJ55 and RJ60

I have the SJ55 model I have mine set at 75% and run my pumps 6.5 hrs a day on a 15 k pool with no shade. The SJ model freaked out and stopped working during the Harvey rains, due to the vents along the top. I had to dry out all the water inside . My opinion is it is a poorly designed unit. I would look into the RJ. Plumbing wise the SJ is easier to install since their is no mechanical flow switch only a electronic inside the salt cell.

Gotcha. That makes sense. Thanks.

Relaying a question from the wife: What will the cost be for the electricity to run the SWG?

G,

For reference, I run my SWCG and pump 24/7 and I estimate it costs me less than $20 bucks a month.. If I shut my pool completely off, I doubt I would be able to tell the difference electricity wise...

But I have a variable speed pump.. a single speed pump costs a lot more to run... That is the advantage of the larger cell... you can run your pump less saving on electricity.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Just spoke to Discount Salt Pools tech support. He said the vector jet is in fact a part that goes in the eyeball. It would normally be installed in the deep end and directs the water down along the side to aid in chlorinating and moving this likely stagnant area of a pool.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.