questions about sand filter operation....

Jul 20, 2009
newbie to the sand filter system. what are the different functions and how often do I use them?
recirculate...
rinse....
backwash...
filter....
close...i know that one

it is a TAGULUS tank. it says to use .018 or .022 sand. will I be ok using normal filter sand?
it is supposedly a 100 lb tank, will that be ok for use with a 1.5 hp pump?

this is a used filter..to long of a story to explain how I ended up with it.

See comments in blue
k5ranger said:
newbie to the sand filter system. what are the different functions and how often do I use them?
recirculate... Bypasses the filter media (sand) and returns the water straight to the pool
rinse.... Rinses the filter media after you backwash. Keeps dirty water from entering the pool.
backwash...Runs water backward through the filter media to waste, to clean the media
filter....Runs the water from the pump through the filter media then back to the pool to clean it.
close...i know that one
I hope this helps a bit.

It's ok to use regular filter sand if it's .018" to .022". I know that didn't help much but look on the container and it should say what size it is.

If it's just a 100 lb filter I'd guess that it's going to be to small for a 1-1/2 hp pump. Look on it and find the max flow rate but it's probably more suited to a 3/4 hp pump.

ahhh......just took my filter to a local pool supply shop only to find out the follwing......
it is a Tagelus filter that hold 160 lbs of sand. all things functioning proberly. lets hope it lasts the rest of the summer until i can get another pump.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.