Closing pool and cover advice

May 30, 2017
Ramer
First time closing my pool, so pretty much looking for step by step. I'm going to slam it again because I was on a wildfire for 2 weeks and it got neglected.......still crystal clear though. I assume that I need to drain the pool below the skimmer, and drain the filter pump and plumbing. Not sure how I empty the pipe from the main drain. Also, need suggestions on a cover for the winter with a full surround deck.
dda3d76170d8ca2124a0cd230526c170.jpg

Nice pool and deck! Please go through the thread as mentioned above. There may be other steps that you can take, but it is based on filter, pump, type of plumbing, and how many returns and skimmers you have. Most AGP can be closed by disconnecting everything as the plumbing is on the outside and not buried in the ground.

Yes we do reach below freezing, although not for an extended period of time. Some winters are colder than others, but typically our freezing temps are relugated to nights and no more than 2-3 consecutive "daytime" freezing temps. And Ramer is 90 miles due east of memphis, less than 10 miles north of the MS state line.

Nice pool and deck! Please go through the thread as mentioned above. There may be other steps that you can take, but it is based on filter, pump, type of plumbing, and how many returns and skimmers you have. Most AGP can be closed by disconnecting everything as the plumbing is on the outside and not buried in the ground.
Thanks, the problem I'm having is contradicting advice. The cover I am thinking of getting (Arctic Blue Eliminator) recommends using its skimmer dam vs draining below the skimmer. Also, on your point of disconnecting the filter pump......it is all plumbed with pvc, so there is no disconnecting. The skimmer pipe and main drain pipe each have a cut off valve but the line would still remain partially filled behind the valve. If I drained it below the skimmer, that would solve that line temporarily, but there is no way to keep the main drain line from filling to the valve.

Please take pictures of filter, pump, housing, outside of pool, etc. If your system is plumbed with PVC and has shut off valves, then you will need to clear the water with air, plug the return and possibly use a plug or Gizmo in the skimmer. You will also need to winterize the filter and remove pressure gauge. You can use an air compressor and/or possibly a shop vacuum in reverse.

It is also recommended that you drain below the skimmer. No need below the return as this can be plugged. The cover will all be up to you on how you want to put on and support, etc.

Also, why does the water need to reach 60 degrees? It's at 72 now, may come up a little with some warm temps over the next few days, but not enough to comfortably swim. Just wondering why I need to wait for the water temp to drop.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.