Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Closing pool and cover advice

1. Back To Top    #1

Closing pool and cover advice

First time closing my pool, so pretty much looking for step by step. I'm going to slam it again because I was on a wildfire for 2 weeks and it got neglected.......still crystal clear though. I assume that I need to drain the pool below the skimmer, and drain the filter pump and plumbing. Not sure how I empty the pipe from the main drain. Also, need suggestions on a cover for the winter with a full surround deck.

Aloha Pools 21,000 gallon AG
    Millenium 150 sq ft/120 gpm cartridge filter
    Installed May 2017

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Closing pool and cover advice

Step by step listed here: Pool School - Closing (Winterizing) Your Above Ground Pool

inyopools.com and a few others have safety covers that you can fasten to the deck.
    20'x48' 40,000 gal. Vinyl, Pentair Intelliflo 2 VST, Sta-Rite PLM300 System 2 Cartridge Filter, and a Pentair Mastertemp 250 heater all controlled by Pentair Easy Touch with Screen Logic. Dolphin Premier pool attendant.
    I've got iron stained well water. TF-100 and Speed Stir

3. Back To Top    #3

TFP Guide

Nice pool and deck! Please go through the thread as mentioned above. There may be other steps that you can take, but it is based on filter, pump, type of plumbing, and how many returns and skimmers you have. Most AGP can be closed by disconnecting everything as the plumbing is on the outside and not buried in the ground.
    14,700 gallons IG Pool Vinyl Liner - Octal Circulation System
    Hayward Pro-Series 350 LB. Sand Filter Model # S270T - 2" Plumping
    Hayward CL2002 Chlorinator - Hayward Super Pump 2 HP Model # k48m2n111
    Hayward AQR9 SWG 25K Salt Cell & TF-100 Test Kit
    Gulfstream HE125RA - 117K BTU Heat Pump - Date of Build is 11-2013

4. Back To Top    #4

TFP Guide

Where is "Ramer"? Do you get below freezing temps during the winter?
    Dom - TFP Guide
    Intex 18' X 48" Ultra Frame AGP 6700 gallons | Two Intex CS8110 SWG's | Hayward Pro Series 21" Sandfilter | Hayward 1.5HP Power Flo Matrix pump | Hayward Thru-wall Skimmer | Wanda the Whale | 72 sq ft of Sungrabber Solar Panels with Hayward GLC-2P-A | Taylor K2006 Test Kit, Sample Sizer & Speed Stir | Click Here To Become a TFP Supporter!

5. Back To Top    #5

Yes we do reach below freezing, although not for an extended period of time. Some winters are colder than others, but typically our freezing temps are relugated to nights and no more than 2-3 consecutive "daytime" freezing temps. And Ramer is 90 miles due east of memphis, less than 10 miles north of the MS state line.

Installed May 2017

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by Catanzaro View Post
    Nice pool and deck! Please go through the thread as mentioned above. There may be other steps that you can take, but it is based on filter, pump, type of plumbing, and how many returns and skimmers you have. Most AGP can be closed by disconnecting everything as the plumbing is on the outside and not buried in the ground.
    Thanks, the problem I'm having is contradicting advice. The cover I am thinking of getting (Arctic Blue Eliminator) recommends using its skimmer dam vs draining below the skimmer. Also, on your point of disconnecting the filter pump......it is all plumbed with pvc, so there is no disconnecting. The skimmer pipe and main drain pipe each have a cut off valve but the line would still remain partially filled behind the valve. If I drained it below the skimmer, that would solve that line temporarily, but there is no way to keep the main drain line from filling to the valve.

Installed May 2017

7. Back To Top    #7

TFP Guide

Please take pictures of filter, pump, housing, outside of pool, etc. If your system is plumbed with PVC and has shut off valves, then you will need to clear the water with air, plug the return and possibly use a plug or Gizmo in the skimmer. You will also need to winterize the filter and remove pressure gauge. You can use an air compressor and/or possibly a shop vacuum in reverse.

It is also recommended that you drain below the skimmer. No need below the return as this can be plugged. The cover will all be up to you on how you want to put on and support, etc.
    14,700 gallons IG Pool Vinyl Liner - Octal Circulation System
    Hayward Pro-Series 350 LB. Sand Filter Model # S270T - 2" Plumping
    Hayward CL2002 Chlorinator - Hayward Super Pump 2 HP Model # k48m2n111
    Hayward AQR9 SWG 25K Salt Cell & TF-100 Test Kit
    Gulfstream HE125RA - 117K BTU Heat Pump - Date of Build is 11-2013

8. Back To Top    #8

I will this afternoon......so do they make main drain covers for winterization?

Installed May 2017

9. Back To Top    #9

Also, why does the water need to reach 60 degrees? It's at 72 now, may come up a little with some warm temps over the next few days, but not enough to comfortably swim. Just wondering why I need to wait for the water temp to drop.

Installed May 2017

10. Back To Top    #10

Algae growth slows at 60 and below. Close late, open early.
    13700 gal, 32'x16'x54" AG oval, vinyl, Echo Canyon II, 8500 series, Narrow Yard, Safety Fence & Stair, Sta-Rite Crystal Flow T-210WF, 44 GPM, Hayward SP1580TL 1HP Pump, Aqua Luminator, Festiva wedding cake steps, March 2006, TFT-100, Speed-Stir, Sample Sizer. Avatar Credit: TJ Townsend