Pin holes in Above Ground liners

X-PertPool

TFP Expert
In The Industry
Jun 12, 2009
Exeter, PA
Note to moderator keep topic here or move to above ground?

Over the years I've done leak detections on above ground pools, sometimes the leak ends up being numerous pin holes along the perimeter of the pool in the cove. I don't see any scrape marks from a vacuum head or brush just pin holes, I've searched Google and http://www.shadebuilder.com/above-groun ... takes.html says it's from auto cleaners or vacuuming near the cove. But like i just mentioned I see no scrape marks just pin holes, I theorized maybe insect damage, poor quality reprocessed vinyl, small stones or sand behind the liner rubbing through the material. What is weird is that I've never seen these type of holes in this patten in an in-ground liner pool (maybe because AG vinyl has the textured backing?). Anyone have an idea?

I've had three of these so called weird pin holes near the cove on my AGP liner. Have no clue how they got there. I don't vacuum near the cove, do not have an auto cleaner, and am very careful with what goes in the pool. I do have ants in my yard though. I have to spray for them and lay down granules every so often to keep them at bay. Only thing I can think of, are ants / insects that are causing these holes.
I wish that I had a definitive answer. I really would like to know what causes them as well.

I read on other sites that termites will be draw to pools during dry spells. They like to get under the pool where the water is. They have very small mouths , very strong teeth, and can only bite where the seam in the liner is located. That should be center of the cove. Tough little buggers. They can grow a new set of teeth many times so the liner is no match for them.

Is there a way to treat for termites around a pool that is already assembled?
Treating under the liner would be impossible, but would it help to treat the perimeter? I'd think anything is better than nothing.
I'm tired of finding those small holes in my liner, especially when I know it isn't anything that I have done to cause it.

TravisD said:
Is there a way to treat for termites around a pool that is already assembled?
Treating under the liner would be impossible, but would it help to treat the perimeter? I'd think anything is better than nothing.
I'm tired of finding those small holes in my liner, especially when I know it isn't anything that I have done to cause it.
I would treat around the perimeter.
Found a site that has the best price for Cyper TC . Same as the other site that has the article on termites. I checked the MSDS sheet and product Label information . They are the same.
This is the link to the company site
http://www.pestpoolandlawn.com/
This is the link to the termite insecticide.
http://www.pestpoolandlawn.com/catalog/ ... al-32.html
I ordered 2 gallons to do the entire site.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.