Question I should know the answer to, but I don't.....

Most above ground pumps don't self-prime very well, so you should really never use an above ground motor on an in ground.

I don't see any problem with using an in ground motor on an above ground except the possibility of over sizing the pump for the filter. (too much flow)

Another stupid question for you.

Our pool is an inground pool for the most part but is on a steep hill. The pump and filter are located on the low end, above ground but below the bottom of the pool.

Does this mean I could get away with an above ground pump? My pump is getting very noisy and sometimes won't start up again if I try and restart it too soon after stopping it (I guess it needs to cool down) so I think I might be in the market for a new pump soon.

I would really stick with an in-ground motor, above ground motors don't really need to be self priming since water wants to basically pour into the motor, even still if you get air trapped in the pump part by accident it can still take a while for it regain it's prime on it's own. You can typically make it start much faster by loosening the lid until water starts to squirt out and then re tighten the lid. I would just take your motor to a repair shop it could be a simple problem but could get worse if let go for too long. your contact switch could be rusty, the fan intake on the motor might be jammed with debris etc. Regardless if you do need a new pump&motor an in-ground motor should be used

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.