NOOB Owner Needs Help Recovering from Harvey

May 3, 2016
Cypress, TX
So we took over active management of our own pool chemical monitoring using the TF method and TF-100 test kit starting in June of this year. We spent probably a month working to lower the CYA that had climbed up to 80-90. After replacing 1/2 the pool (or more) with some very expensive new water, Harvey has now assisted us by lowering it to zero (grrrr.....). We had a pretty good summer of basic monitoring and managing chlorine and PH levels once we got the CYA under control.

After Harvey, the numbers were all out of whack (as expected) and the water was a nice murky brown. We ran the filter non-stop to get the silt and dirt out and have gotten the CYA now to 30 and chlorine has now past the overnight loss test. Pool looks clear and sparkly. Now what (if anything) to do with these other wacky numbers?
FC: 12.5 (just finished SLAMing)
CC: 0-0.5
PH: 8.0 (seems to constantly drift up each week - the spa spillover is on when the filter is on - usually about 4-6 hours each evening - should I expect to add Muriatic Acid every week?)
TA: 60
CH: 100
CYA: 30
BOR: 15 (lost most of this also thanks to the Big H) :( Will work to improve this again later but don't usually bring it any higher than about 30 because our puppy likes to swim and drink the water

Thanks in advance!
Felicia

Acid to bring the pH down, but do it more often than weekly.

You need to bring the CH up.

Ignore (don't add more) borates until you can get the pH/TA stable

So no concern with the PH drifting up on a fairly routine basis (assume that is normal due to spa spillover?)? MA isn't super cheap here ($13 for 2 gallon pack) - assuming that's the case in most places or I should shop elsewhere?

Can you help me understand what the low CH means or why it is so low? What is most common product to use to raise CH and where do I find it? It says target should be 250-350...do I shoot for the low end or middle? Will it naturally drift up or down over time? 47 POUNDS of calcium chloride??? My mind can't process this! LOL

Thank you!!

Last edited:
I buy calcium chloride in bulk on-line. I had to add 15 or 20 lbs. post-Harvey.
Yup, calcium chloride. Many times you can find it as snow melt, but that may not be available in your area.

Like other elements in the water, calcium is carried out anytime water leave the pool as a solution (evaporation does not count). So, water taken out in swimmng suits, the dogs fur or being backwashed out because of a storm will lower the amount in the water. Your pebble pool (gunite) will leach calcium into the water if you don't keep the calcium level in the water high enough. This is what it meas when water is said to be corrosive.

With a spillover you will almost always have raising pH. I have a sheer decent waterfall and add acid all the time to keep pH in check. I get my acid at Home Depot, but they sell two versions one called low fume or green is half strength at the full price. You want the full strength which will have either "20 Degree Baume" or 31% listed on the label.

TA is a modifier as to how quickly pH rises. The lower the TA the slower the pH rise. I keep my TA what some feel is critically low (40-50) in order to stem the pH rise. But, I never let it drop below 40.

Yup, calcium chloride. Many times you can find it as snow melt, but that may not be available in your area.

Like other elements in the water, calcium is carried out anytime water leave the pool as a solution (evaporation does not count). So, water taken out in swimmng suits, the dogs fur or being backwashed out because of a storm will lower the amount in the water. Your pebble pool (gunite) will leach calcium into the water if you don't keep the calcium level in the water high enough. This is what it meas when water is said to be corrosive.

With a spillover you will almost always have raising pH. I have a sheer decent waterfall and add acid all the time to keep pH in check. I get my acid at Home Depot, but they sell two versions one called low fume or green is half strength at the full price. You want the full strength which will have either "20 Degree Baume" or 31% listed on the label.

TA is a modifier as to how quickly pH rises. The lower the TA the slower the pH rise. I keep my TA what some feel is critically low (40-50) in order to stem the pH rise. But, I never let it drop below 40.

Thank you so much for the detailed explanation - so helpful! I really appreciate it!

You can normally order Ice Melt (be sure it is calcium chloride) from Home Depot or Lowes and have it shipped to the store. No shipping charges then!

Take care.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.