Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: NOOB Owner Needs Help Recovering from Harvey

1. Back To Top    #1

NOOB Owner Needs Help Recovering from Harvey

So we took over active management of our own pool chemical monitoring using the TF method and TF-100 test kit starting in June of this year. We spent probably a month working to lower the CYA that had climbed up to 80-90. After replacing 1/2 the pool (or more) with some very expensive new water, Harvey has now assisted us by lowering it to zero (grrrr.....). We had a pretty good summer of basic monitoring and managing chlorine and PH levels once we got the CYA under control.

After Harvey, the numbers were all out of whack (as expected) and the water was a nice murky brown. We ran the filter non-stop to get the silt and dirt out and have gotten the CYA now to 30 and chlorine has now past the overnight loss test. Pool looks clear and sparkly. Now what (if anything) to do with these other wacky numbers?
    FC: 12.5 (just finished SLAMing)
    CC: 0-0.5
    PH: 8.0 (seems to constantly drift up each week - the spa spillover is on when the filter is on - usually about 4-6 hours each evening - should I expect to add Muriatic Acid every week?)
    TA: 60
    CH: 100
    CYA: 30
    BOR: 15 (lost most of this also thanks to the Big H) Will work to improve this again later but don't usually bring it any higher than about 30 because our puppy likes to swim and drink the water

Thanks in advance!
    Felicia
    Houston, TX
    30k gal, IG pebble (5/2016), Pentair Clean & Clear Plus cartridge filter, Pentair Intelliflo variable speed pump, spa, waterfall (Pentair Whisperflo pump), Kreepy Krauly Legend cleaner, & Pentair Rainbow Model 320 Auto Chlorine/Bromine In-Line Feeder (turned off)

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: NOOB Owner Needs Help Recovering from Harvey

Acid to bring the pH down, but do it more often than weekly.

You need to bring the CH up.

Ignore (don't add more) borates until you can get the pH/TA stable
    TFP Moderator 39 X 18 23,000(ish) freeform gunite; built 2007ish; Pentair Triton II TR100 600lb Sand filter; 2 HP Pentair pump with 2.2 HP AO Smith single speed motor; 2 skimmers, 1 main drain, 4 returns w/waterfall, Stenner 45MHP2 3GPD running@ 60% - 15 gal Tank; heated by the sun CYA 200+ when I started - 50 now. Dolphin Supreme M5 Pool Cleaner. Hot Springs SX Spa, 285 gallon

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by tim5055 View Post
    Acid to bring the pH down, but do it more often than weekly.

You need to bring the CH up.

Ignore (don't add more) borates until you can get the pH/TA stable

So no concern with the PH drifting up on a fairly routine basis (assume that is normal due to spa spillover?)? MA isn't super cheap here ($13 for 2 gallon pack) - assuming that's the case in most places or I should shop elsewhere?

Can you help me understand what the low CH means or why it is so low? What is most common product to use to raise CH and where do I find it? It says target should be 250-350...do I shoot for the low end or middle? Will it naturally drift up or down over time? 47 POUNDS of calcium chloride??? My mind can't process this! LOL

Thank you!!
    Last edited by choifel; 09-10-2017 at 12:42 PM. Reason: adding info/question
    Houston, TX
    30k gal, IG pebble (5/2016), Pentair Clean & Clear Plus cartridge filter, Pentair Intelliflo variable speed pump, spa, waterfall (Pentair Whisperflo pump), Kreepy Krauly Legend cleaner, & Pentair Rainbow Model 320 Auto Chlorine/Bromine In-Line Feeder (turned off)

4. Back To Top    #4

I buy calcium chloride in bulk on-line. I had to add 15 or 20 lbs. post-Harvey.
    In-ground gunnite, 24k gal., Hayward DE filter, bleach, borate, Hayward Tiger Shark robotic cleaner, 75% full sun

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by Ronald U. View Post
    I buy calcium chloride in bulk on-line. I had to add 15 or 20 lbs. post-Harvey.
    Yup, calcium chloride. Many times you can find it as snow melt, but that may not be available in your area.

Like other elements in the water, calcium is carried out anytime water leave the pool as a solution (evaporation does not count). So, water taken out in swimmng suits, the dogs fur or being backwashed out because of a storm will lower the amount in the water. Your pebble pool (gunite) will leach calcium into the water if you don't keep the calcium level in the water high enough. This is what it meas when water is said to be corrosive.

With a spillover you will almost always have raising pH. I have a sheer decent waterfall and add acid all the time to keep pH in check. I get my acid at Home Depot, but they sell two versions one called low fume or green is half strength at the full price. You want the full strength which will have either "20 Degree Baume" or 31% listed on the label.

TA is a modifier as to how quickly pH rises. The lower the TA the slower the pH rise. I keep my TA what some feel is critically low (40-50) in order to stem the pH rise. But, I never let it drop below 40.
    TFP Moderator 39 X 18 23,000(ish) freeform gunite; built 2007ish; Pentair Triton II TR100 600lb Sand filter; 2 HP Pentair pump with 2.2 HP AO Smith single speed motor; 2 skimmers, 1 main drain, 4 returns w/waterfall, Stenner 45MHP2 3GPD running@ 60% - 15 gal Tank; heated by the sun CYA 200+ when I started - 50 now. Dolphin Supreme M5 Pool Cleaner. Hot Springs SX Spa, 285 gallon

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by tim5055 View Post
    Yup, calcium chloride. Many times you can find it as snow melt, but that may not be available in your area.

Like other elements in the water, calcium is carried out anytime water leave the pool as a solution (evaporation does not count). So, water taken out in swimmng suits, the dogs fur or being backwashed out because of a storm will lower the amount in the water. Your pebble pool (gunite) will leach calcium into the water if you don't keep the calcium level in the water high enough. This is what it meas when water is said to be corrosive.

With a spillover you will almost always have raising pH. I have a sheer decent waterfall and add acid all the time to keep pH in check. I get my acid at Home Depot, but they sell two versions one called low fume or green is half strength at the full price. You want the full strength which will have either "20 Degree Baume" or 31% listed on the label.

TA is a modifier as to how quickly pH rises. The lower the TA the slower the pH rise. I keep my TA what some feel is critically low (40-50) in order to stem the pH rise. But, I never let it drop below 40.

Thank you so much for the detailed explanation - so helpful! I really appreciate it!
    Houston, TX

7. Back To Top    #7

You can normally order Ice Melt (be sure it is calcium chloride) from Home Depot or Lowes and have it shipped to the store. No shipping charges then!

Take care.
    6000 Gallon IG Fiberglass with integrated Spa
    Pentair CCP240 Cartridge Filter with Pentair Intelliflow 3050VS Pump and Pentair HTR250 heater. IC40 SWG. EasyTouch 4. TF 100 Test Kit w/SpeedStir!
    CLICK HERE to Become a TroubleFreePool.com Supporter!!
    Marty