Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: water level?

1. Back To Top    #1

water level?

I feel like my water is dropping a little bit, is this normal, we just installed a fiberglass pool about 1 month ago, Im a newbie, so this might be normal. Its been very hot, and i know when its used(splashing,etc.) the water will go down. Just wondering.
    24 x48 above ground pool.
    hayward sand filter

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry

Re: water level?

the safest bet is to perform a bucket test to measure evaporation. Place a bucket filled half way with pool water on your walk in steps (if applicable) mark the water level inside the bucket and mark the water level on the outside of the bucket, they should lose the same percentage of water though evaporation. if the pool loses more you have an unaccounted for loss of water.
    -Kevin
    X-Pert Pool Service
    x-pertpool.com
    X-Pert Pool on Facebook and @XPertPoolServic on Twitter
    22,000 gal / 16' x 32' / Vinyl / Hayward s244t /Pentair SuperFlo 1 hp

3. Back To Top    #3

It's not uncommon for an uncovered pool to lose an inch a week, some more, some less, depending on arid conditions....

Solar blankets reduce evaporation.
    Helpful links: Pool School; CYA/Chlorine Chart
    24' round AG pool, 52" high, Raypak heater; Waterway 2 spd Pump;
    150 Sq ft. Clearwater Cartridge Filter; Former and DISSATISFIED "Pool Frog" owner
    http://www.PerfectlyClearPoolService.com

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by X-PertPool
    the safest bet is to perform a bucket test to measure evaporation. Place a bucket filled half way with pool water on your walk in steps (if applicable) mark the water level inside the bucket and mark the water level on the outside of the bucket, they should lose the same percentage of water though evaporation. if the pool loses more you have an unaccounted for loss of water.
    Great advice Kevin!
    Just so I get i right. Shall both the water in the bucket and the surrounding water level sink just as much if their are no leaks?
    Thanks!
    Inground concrete pool 14600 gallons,Pentair Whisperflo 3/4HP WFE-3, Hayward swimclear 420sq ft
    Zodiac LM3-24 SWG, Dolphin Diagnostic poolrobot, Heatpump Gullberg&Jansson 13,8KW, TF testkit.

Seen a shooting star tonight And I thought of you You were trying to break into another world A world I never knew
    I always kind of wondered If you ever made it through Seen a shooting star tonight And I thought of you

5. Back To Top    #5

thanks for the help
    24 x48 above ground pool.
    hayward sand filter

6. Back To Top    #6

In the Industry

yup they should both lose the same, the purpose of putting the bucket on the steps is to keep the temperature of the water in the bucket the same as the surrounding pool water. Make sure to use water from the pool in the bucket as well, if you used water from a garden hose the temperature of the water from the garden hose could affect the test.
    -Kevin
    X-Pert Pool Service
    x-pertpool.com
    X-Pert Pool on Facebook and @XPertPoolServic on Twitter
    22,000 gal / 16' x 32' / Vinyl / Hayward s244t /Pentair SuperFlo 1 hp

7. Back To Top    #7

Thanks Kevin!
    A really smart way to determine if you have a leak or not. I shall forward this info to person that worries about sinking water levels in her pool.
    Inground concrete pool 14600 gallons,Pentair Whisperflo 3/4HP WFE-3, Hayward swimclear 420sq ft
    Zodiac LM3-24 SWG, Dolphin Diagnostic poolrobot, Heatpump Gullberg&Jansson 13,8KW, TF testkit.

Seen a shooting star tonight And I thought of you You were trying to break into another world A world I never knew
    I always kind of wondered If you ever made it through Seen a shooting star tonight And I thought of you