Pool guys say I should be shocking with bleach as well???...

gman

Jan 11, 2009
NC
OK, when I opened the pool this season I decided to switch to BBB for normal upkeep. Working Great. But I still shock with the powder cause from what I thought bleach was only an upkeep and to shock you used every week or when needed. Pool guys say bleach is great, use it all the time, Is this true????? I travel quite alot so as much as I would love to care for my pool I cant, when I hired the pool guys this season they requested I buy bleach for them to use. I really didnt believe them which is when I found this site. But I guess so. So my question is can I use bleach to shock as well as upkeep???

oh ok. I was told by my girlfriends dad to shock weekly. To just kill everything. So I guess I will just get more bleach for the pool guys, and say use it when needed. Hopefully If I get the new position at work I wont have to travel weekly and can take care of my own pool. :)

gman said:
oh ok. I was told by my girlfriends dad to shock weekly. To just kill everything. So I guess I will just get more bleach for the pool guys, and say use it when needed. Hopefully If I get the new position at work I wont have to travel weekly and can take care of my own pool. :)

If you keep the chlorine at the right level and never let it fall to the wrong level, everything is always killed. You don't need to shock unless you've let things get out of hand.

How often are these pool guys coming? I find that using bleach only, I have to add it to the pool every 3 or 4 days. That is with light usage and hot Texas sun.

That's pool store myth.

If you maintain proper FC levels, the Free Chlorine is what "kills everything"....so there is no need to shock weekly.

I've shocked my pool 5 times in over 2 years: 3 extended vacations and 2 winterizations. That's it....

Refer to the CYA chart - never let the FC drop below your "min" level, and you should never have algae or need a reason for "routine" shocking.

anonapersona said:
gman said:

If you keep the chlorine at the right level and never let it fall to the wrong level, everything is always killed. You don't need to shock unless you've let things get out of hand.

How often are these pool guys coming? I find that using bleach only, I have to add it to the pool every 3 or 4 days. That is with light usage and hot Texas sun.

The pool guys come out once a week and just do the routine. Clean skimmers, vacuum, backwash etc. And they add bleach as needed. For 200 bucks a month their a life saver since my GF is not really as good as keeping the pool clean as she is using it. lol.

hayfarmer said:
wow man if i live closer i would do it for 200 bucks a month... really you should get GF to learn how to do it... its really easy even a blonde can do it.... I know i will get slack for that!!! but really let her try, she can do it
good luck

haha, I was thinking the same thing. heck, I'd charge half that and still lose sleep over guilt.

hayfarmer said:
wow man if i live closer i would do it for 200 bucks a month... really you should get GF to learn how to do it... its really easy even a blonde can do it.... I know i will get slack for that!!! but really let her try, she can do it
good luck

Hayfarmer, please check your pm when you can. Up in the top left hand of the page should be a link that says "X new messages"

Thanks.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
hayfarmer said:
good luck

haha, I thought 200 was quite cheap actually, before i had another company charging me 500 a month, that didnt last long. But im going to see if I can teach her anything about it when I get back from cali. :shock:

But can somebody tell me what a phosphate is (sp). I got a call from them this morning saying the pool has phosphates and thats why I keep getting algae. What are they and whats the best way to get rid of them??? thanks a ton guys.

Have you tested the pool yourslef to see what the Free Chlorine level is, as well as the CYA level?

I'll bet that you are getting algae because after 3 or 4 days your chlorine level is too low for the CYA level you have. A lot of BBB users add a little chlorine to the pool each evening. I wait and do a big jug on the 3rd day.

I suspect that you will need to empty a jug of bleach into the pool mid week, or better yet, get the girlfriend to do that after she is done using it and while the filter is running.

I will leave the phosphate discussion to the pros, but short answer, Doesn't matter -- you need more chlorine.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.