Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pool guys say I should be shocking with bleach as well???...

1. Back To Top    #1

Pool guys say I should be shocking with bleach as well???...

OK, when I opened the pool this season I decided to switch to BBB for normal upkeep. Working Great. But I still shock with the powder cause from what I thought bleach was only an upkeep and to shock you used every week or when needed. Pool guys say bleach is great, use it all the time, Is this true????? I travel quite alot so as much as I would love to care for my pool I cant, when I hired the pool guys this season they requested I buy bleach for them to use. I really didnt believe them which is when I found this site. But I guess so. So my question is can I use bleach to shock as well as upkeep???
    John
    15x30 inground vinyl pool. 1 hp hayward pump, 200 pound sand filter. 8 feet deep in the deepest part. 3 feet in the shallow. 4 returns 2 in the steps, 1 in the shallow end, and one in the deep, 1 skimmer (wish there were 2) and one Main drain. Only thing I wish is I had a more powerful pump, The jets never really put out alot of power. No frills pool. Has a light and thats about it as far as specail features go. BBB user ever since I opened this season thanks to TPF

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Pool guys say I should be shocking with bleach as well???...

Yes, just bleach.

Powders raise either Calcium level or CYA levels. Bleach doesn't have unwanted additives.

Maintaining proper FC levels based on your current CYA levels means rarely, if ever, having to shock....
    Helpful links: Pool School; CYA/Chlorine Chart
    24' round AG pool, 52" high, Raypak heater; Waterway 2 spd Pump;
    150 Sq ft. Clearwater Cartridge Filter; Former and DISSATISFIED "Pool Frog" owner
    http://www.PerfectlyClearPoolService.com

3. Back To Top    #3

oh ok. I was told by my girlfriends dad to shock weekly. To just kill everything. So I guess I will just get more bleach for the pool guys, and say use it when needed. Hopefully If I get the new position at work I wont have to travel weekly and can take care of my own pool.
    John
    15x30 inground vinyl pool. 1 hp hayward pump, 200 pound sand filter. 8 feet deep in the deepest part. 3 feet in the shallow. 4 returns 2 in the steps, 1 in the shallow end, and one in the deep, 1 skimmer (wish there were 2) and one Main drain. Only thing I wish is I had a more powerful pump, The jets never really put out alot of power. No frills pool. Has a light and thats about it as far as specail features go. BBB user ever since I opened this season thanks to TPF

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by gman
    oh ok. I was told by my girlfriends dad to shock weekly. To just kill everything. So I guess I will just get more bleach for the pool guys, and say use it when needed. Hopefully If I get the new position at work I wont have to travel weekly and can take care of my own pool.
    If you keep the chlorine at the right level and never let it fall to the wrong level, everything is always killed. You don't need to shock unless you've let things get out of hand.

How often are these pool guys coming? I find that using bleach only, I have to add it to the pool every 3 or 4 days. That is with light usage and hot Texas sun.
    23,000 gallon in ground pool with rock waterfall and spillover spa, Aqualink control system, Polaris 380 cleaner, Purex Triton Clean&Clear Plus cartridge filter. Located in The Woodlands, Texas.

Pool owner since Nov 2008, Trouble Free since April 2009. Happy to help when I can.

5. Back To Top    #5

That's pool store myth.

If you maintain proper FC levels, the Free Chlorine is what "kills everything"....so there is no need to shock weekly.

I've shocked my pool 5 times in over 2 years: 3 extended vacations and 2 winterizations. That's it....

Refer to the CYA chart - never let the FC drop below your "min" level, and you should never have algae or need a reason for "routine" shocking.
    150 Sq ft. Clearwater Cartridge Filter; Former and DISSATISFIED "Pool Frog" owner

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by anonapersona
    Quote Originally Posted by gman
    If you keep the chlorine at the right level and never let it fall to the wrong level, everything is always killed. You don't need to shock unless you've let things get out of hand.

How often are these pool guys coming? I find that using bleach only, I have to add it to the pool every 3 or 4 days. That is with light usage and hot Texas sun.
    The pool guys come out once a week and just do the routine. Clean skimmers, vacuum, backwash etc. And they add bleach as needed. For 200 bucks a month their a life saver since my GF is not really as good as keeping the pool clean as she is using it. lol.
    John

7. Back To Top    #7

wow man if i live closer i would do it for 200 bucks a month... really you should get GF to learn how to do it... its really easy even a blonde can do it.... I know i will get slack for that!!! but really let her try, she can do it
    good luck
    live in eastern washington state
    18x36, Vinyl inground 24k
    Hayward 1 hp filter pump
    1 skimmer/2 returns
    24" sand filter, polaris 280 with booster pump.

8. Back To Top    #8

Hello: Blonde Hair Here.... :P

9. Back To Top    #9

Quote Originally Posted by hayfarmer
    wow man if i live closer i would do it for 200 bucks a month... really you should get GF to learn how to do it... its really easy even a blonde can do it.... I know i will get slack for that!!! but really let her try, she can do it
    good luck
    haha, I was thinking the same thing. heck, I'd charge half that and still lose sleep over guilt.
    16x32 21,000 gallon in-ground exposed aggregate, 1.5hp pump, 120 sqft catridge filter, birdcage, solar panels, aquavac tigershark qc robot.

10. Back To Top    #10

good luck
    Hayfarmer, please check your pm when you can. Up in the top left hand of the page should be a link that says "X new messages"

Thanks.
    24' x 52" AGP - approx 13,500 gallons
    Pentair Optiflo 1 hp/2sp pump w/ Swimpro Voyager 150 sq ft cartridge filter
    Intex 8110 SWCG
    "Fear the Schnauz!"

11. Back To Top    #11

Quote Originally Posted by frustratedpoolmom
    WOW Ann, I'd have never guessed I guess I'll have to start typing slower (if that's possible)
    Luv& Luk
    -Ted

Having done construction and service for 4 pool companies in 4 states starting in 1988, what I know about pools could fill a couple of books - what I don't know could fill a couple of libraries :-D

POOL SCHOOL, TF Testkits, Jason's Pool Calculator, CYA vs. cl chart, (Just a few DARNED handy links!)

12. Back To Top    #12

Quote Originally Posted by waste
    I guess I'll have to start typing slower (if that's possible)
    If you think that will help YOU keep up, by all means.

13. Back To Top    #13

Keep up I've already lapped you twice

Take care Ann, you know we all love you
    Luv& Luk
    -Ted

Having done construction and service for 4 pool companies in 4 states starting in 1988, what I know about pools could fill a couple of books - what I don't know could fill a couple of libraries :-D

POOL SCHOOL, TF Testkits, Jason's Pool Calculator, CYA vs. cl chart, (Just a few DARNED handy links!)

14. Back To Top    #14

Quote Originally Posted by frustratedpoolmom
    NOW I understand!

15. Back To Top    #15

:P

16. Back To Top    #16

sorry mom I did not know it was going to raise that much ruckus about Blondie's!!!!! Remember blonds are beautiful and we love ya
    Jim
    live in eastern washington state
    18x36, Vinyl inground 24k
    Hayward 1 hp filter pump
    1 skimmer/2 returns
    24" sand filter, polaris 280 with booster pump.

17. Back To Top    #17

Tis all right, I can take it (I can dish it too, no worries.)

18. Back To Top    #18

good luck
    haha, I thought 200 was quite cheap actually, before i had another company charging me 500 a month, that didnt last long. But im going to see if I can teach her anything about it when I get back from cali.

But can somebody tell me what a phosphate is (sp). I got a call from them this morning saying the pool has phosphates and thats why I keep getting algae. What are they and whats the best way to get rid of them??? thanks a ton guys.
    John

19. Back To Top    #19

Have you tested the pool yourslef to see what the Free Chlorine level is, as well as the CYA level?

I'll bet that you are getting algae because after 3 or 4 days your chlorine level is too low for the CYA level you have. A lot of BBB users add a little chlorine to the pool each evening. I wait and do a big jug on the 3rd day.

I suspect that you will need to empty a jug of bleach into the pool mid week, or better yet, get the girlfriend to do that after she is done using it and while the filter is running.

I will leave the phosphate discussion to the pros, but short answer, Doesn't matter -- you need more chlorine.
    23,000 gallon in ground pool with rock waterfall and spillover spa, Aqualink control system, Polaris 380 cleaner, Purex Triton Clean&Clear Plus cartridge filter. Located in The Woodlands, Texas.

Pool owner since Nov 2008, Trouble Free since April 2009. Happy to help when I can.

20. Back To Top    #20

Hey John,

It would be most helpful if you would post a full set of test results

If you google (bottom left) phosphates, you will get a ton of info. Phosphates are a non-issue in 99% of pools.
    TFP Moderator TF100 Test Kit TF100 TestKit YouTube Channel PoolMath
    You're done SLAMing when:
    1)You lose 1ppm or less FC overnight, & 2)You have .5ppm CC's or less, & 3)your water is clear.

~ One should not use a sledge hammer to swat a mosquito. ~

If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast