Newbie with Hayward sand filter/pump installation questions

jsgip

Jul 1, 2007
NW Minnesota
I just got a new Hayward sand filter and pump today and I have most of it put together. I have a couple of questions. It came with 2 6' hoses. I installed one on the return on the sand filter valve assembly and one on the inflow to the pump. Do I need to get another hose for the waste opening? Is there suppose to be cover for the waste output? I haven't actually hooked it up my AGP yet. I want to make sure I have it all put together correct. The directions that came with it are lacking...

Thanks,
jsgip

It is very nice to have a hose for the waste outlet but you can get away without one. When you backwash the filter water will come out the waste outlet and it is nice to be able to direct that to the location of your choice. If you don't have a hose and you backwash (or vacum to waste) everything in that direction from the pump will get wet, which might be a problem or might be alright depending out how things are laid out.

Jason,

Aren't the backwash hoses usually some type of rolled up plastic hose? My PB gave me one when we had our pool installed and told me it was a backwash hose, even though we got a cart filter instead of sand and didn't need one.

Yes, backwash hoses are typically flexible plastic that rolls up flat. You normally use hose clamps to connect them to barbed connectors. Some people like to replace them with solid PVC, as they do tend to fail, but you should get a couple of years out of one.

I assume you have a rotary multi-way valve, so you can vacuum to waste or use the pump to pump out excess water to waste, since with a cartridge filter there is no backwashing. That means there is much less of a hurry to hook up the hose, but you probably will want it eventually.

Actually, I don't have a device that will let me vacuum to waste. When I vacuum, anything that makes it past the skimmer sock ends up in the filter. I did end up putting a ball valve and some fittings on the drain from my filter housing so I can hook up some hoses to the valve and drain excess water away from the pool. I use my vacuum hoses for this.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.