Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Pool Plumbing

1. Back To Top    #1

Pool Plumbing

Hi guys,
    Hopefully someone can help, I'm in the UK and have an Above ground pool Bestway, I have my pool plumbed in standard domestic 40mm pipe, however I have just purchased a MEGA 1\2Hp pump and the fittings that come with that are thicker walled pool plumbing, is there a reducer to reduce down to standard 40mm, and if so where from and what would it be called

Many thanks in advance
    Hailing From Sunny :-( Clacton in the UK, 12Ftx48" AG Bestway Steel framed pool (2,708 gal or 12321 Ltr), 18" Mega Side Mount Sand Filter 35 Gpm 1.5" PVC, looking for a Pump....., Nice clear pool currently :-)

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Pool Plumbing

Any chance of a pic? I'm having a little trouble converting to metric
    Luv& Luk
    -Ted

Having done construction and service for 4 pool companies in 4 states starting in 1988, what I know about pools could fill a couple of books - what I don't know could fill a couple of libraries :-D

POOL SCHOOL, TF Testkits, Jason's Pool Calculator, CYA vs. cl chart, (Just a few DARNED handy links!)

3. Back To Top    #3

Yeah, me too. I thought that pipe was one of those things that was almost universally inch measured. Even British Standard Pipe (BSP) sizes are inch. I guess 40mm is almost a coupla mickeymeters shy of 1-1/4 inch (41.9-ish mm).

We'd still need to know the pipe size on the MEGA.
    [center:1kpalu48]Helpful Links: Pool School | CYA/Chlorine Chart | Pool Calculator[/center:1kpalu48]

4. Back To Top    #4

40mm is 1.57" we are in complete limbo in the UK, We can get a mixture of both, DIY stores only sell 40mm and trade shops sell both flavours. the internal diameter though is not the question.
    The external diameter of pool 1 1\2" is much greater than that of uk domestic plumbing, all I need to know is it there a reducer available?
    Hailing From Sunny :-( Clacton in the UK, 12Ftx48" AG Bestway Steel framed pool (2,708 gal or 12321 Ltr), 18" Mega Side Mount Sand Filter 35 Gpm 1.5" PVC, looking for a Pump....., Nice clear pool currently :-)

5. Back To Top    #5

According to my calculations 40mm is about 1-1/2" pipe. I don't know what size the new pump is but there should be adapters to change from one to the other. The trade shop is where I'd start searching.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

6. Back To Top    #6

40mm is about 1-1/2" pipe
    Yes, you are correct, and I, of course, am a dufus. I should have typed 1-1/2, not 1-1/4.
    [center:1kpalu48]Helpful Links: Pool School | CYA/Chlorine Chart | Pool Calculator[/center:1kpalu48]