New Pool/Spa Build - Temecula, CA

HolliG

Gold Supporter
Sep 4, 2017
Temecula, CA
Hello everyone! This is our first post since we are brand new to the TFP community. Have already found this site super helpful and plan to use the methods posted on here to keep our water chemistry optimized.

Last week our PB started excavation and now we have a pool hole in our backyard! So fun to see it coming along. We will be selecting tiles/coping/pebbleTec Sheen color next week. Will be changing from the proposed Ozone system to a SWG after reading a lot of threads on this site. Will update signature with the SWG equipment once we make the change official with our PB.

I have spent countless hours on here comparing pebble tech sheen colors - think we are going to go with the Blue Surf (I often call it Blue Smurf due to the threads, lol...I have to catch myself now). My husband likes the Prism Blue but I think it might be a little too dark. Was thinking of adding Luminous to the Blue Surf though. Too many decisions.

Talk about custom!!! LOVE IT!!!

LOL on the blue smurf! One of the builds that used the blue surf color got a smurf doll and took a pic with him by the pool and it was a purrfect match!

Are the kids beyond excited? Have they been able to be there for work most days? When will you get steel?

Kim:kim:

I'm so sad that it looks like photo sharing has been terminated by photo bucket so a lot of the threads I have been to look at photos won't show up for me. :( This must have recently happened too, wish I had gotten to see everyone's photos before the site stopped hosting them for free.

The kids are super excited. I think they are most excited about the slide and hiding in the grotto behind the water fall. Can't wait till it is done.

We got some steel in today. Tomorrow our street is getting slurry sealed so I don't think the PB will be able to work tomorrow. :(

Here are some pic of what they did today.

Holli, go out and measure everything.............is it long, wide, deep, etc enough? NOW is the time to change/fix/tweak as needed.

Let me know what threads you tried to see the pics and they were missing. Our IT guy has mad powers and can restore some pics so.........

Kim:kim:

We switched to a SWCG and the PB said we would be getting a Jandy TruClear Saltwater Chlorinator. I looked online and can only find 2 models available - one for new builds and one for retrofitting. We told PB we wanted at least a 40K generator since our pool is a little over 15K gallons. Will this be a good SWCG for our pool?

We upgraded to the blue surf pebble sheen color and we are still awaiting prices on adding Luminous and Shimmering Sea. We picked out our quartz stone and waterline tile too.

We did end up having to spend a lot more $ to move our air conditioner unit to the side of our house because the concrete was cut way too close to our planter area that had bushes that covered the unit. Either we had to remove the bushes covering the unit so we could add more quartz stone to make a wider walkway (which would leave our unit not hidden by foliage) or move the unit to the side of the house and fill in and make the planter smaller with quartz that matches the coping around the pool. This was a pricey miscalculation/measuring because it was not a problem on the drawings. :( PB says we had "options" but if we are spending this much money on a pool/backyard we don't want to now have to see our air conditioner unit in the middle of it. I really did love the shrub planter that covered our unit. A bit sad to have to lose that green area...it looked nice in our backyard.

We currently have craziness in the front of our house as they had to move our gas to the other side of the house so there is a band cut out in our driveway and through the front yard.

Here are the current pics of our pool progress:

Will this be a good SWCG for our pool?

The Jandy Truclear will create 0.92 pounds of chlorine per day. So if your pool is 15000 gallons, you can add 7.5 ppm FC per day in your pool in 24 hours.

I would call that undersized. It will require you to run your pump and SWCG at a 100% setting for 12-14 hours per day in the summer.

A true 40K gallon SWCG should produce 1.4 pounds of chlorine per day.

Take care.

That's what I was thinking. Wonder how much they are going to charge us additionally to move up to a 40K SWCG. We told them this at our meeting...we wanted a 40K minimum and then I asked the name of what SWCG would be installed. After some research I saw there are only two models and had a feeling it wouldn't be enough. Thank you so much Marty for the information. Will talk with PB tomorrow.

So my husband sent a text to our PB regarding our concern that the Jandy Truclear SWCG is undersized from the 40K gallon SWCG we had wanted. He asked what it would cost/what our options would be for a true 40K gallon capacity. I'm not sure how we can get a different system or what it will cost us because this was the response:

"Any salt system has to run longer in the summer time than ozone. I am emailing you a really good video on our ozone system from Del Ozone. We have only installed 5 salt systems out of 210 pools built this year, all of which have Del Ozone. Our internal reviews are great. We have 46 franchises nationwide doing the same thing. I'm not trying to change your mind again, but just want to inform you. A larger salt system would always help, but will still need to run longer and stronger to generate salt. Thanks".

We did not get any options/prices we can upgrade to. Can someone recommend a SWCG system that we can ask for that will go with all of our equipment and the Jandy Z4 I Aqualink? A little frustrating trying to turn down ozone and go this route. We still haven't gotten prices for the luminous and shimming sea either - it's been a week now since we asked. :( Trying to be patient.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
The Aquapure 1400 is a true 40K cell.

The ozone thing is all magic and no rabbit (stole that from a moderator!!)

If the PB really said that " A larger salt system would always help, but will still need to run longer and stronger to generate salt. " -- he has no clue what he is talking about.
A SWCG generates chlorine not salt. And no, a bigger unit will be able to run much less than the Truclear as it is undersized. The ozone thing does nothing to sanitize the water.

Take care.

Thanks for the recommendation! I think I'm catching on because I told my husband his statement makes no sense from everything I have been reading on here. Thanks for confirming...I think they must get some kickbacks for referring ozone because changing our minds has been frowned upon. Will ask for price difference getting the Aquapure 1400. Thanks again for your help. :)

Howdy, Neighbors!

Been trying to follow this build but there isn't an update for the past couple of months. @HolliG....are we done yet? We would love to see more pictures, please!

We are in Temecula and Gardner Pools recently finished our PebbleTec Black Pearl. We decided to discontinue use of the SWG and went with Pentair Intellichem instead. Very happy so far.
Glad it worked for you. It's all about personal preference and what works best for you.

Wow your builder sure made the most out of that space! What an oasis you'll be saving a ton on vacations! Did they ever upgrade you to the 1400 cell? The costs really would have been minimal with your build.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.