1.5 hp overkill?

Jul 20, 2009
my pump blew on my 18' x 48" AG,it was the cheap intex type pushing 1000 gph. my neighbor has a 1.5 hp waterway hi-flo pump I can use for the rest of the summer. If I hook that pump to a 100 lb sand filter will I be ok? what problems will arise? I was thinking of running two return lines just to avoid having an extremely hard jet of water at the return. will there be a problem with kids (youngest 6 yrs old) being "sucked in" to the intake?
thanks

It could pump out the intake faster than it can supply water, resulting in slurping and bubbling, it could blow sand into the pool from the filter, and it could even potentially damage the filter.

One way that you could use the pump although not ideal is to plumb a ball valve into the return line. You can then partially close off the valve to reduce the flow rate some so the filter is not damaged. It shouldn't take much and the filter pressure will be higher but it should be workable. Long term though, you should consider a replacement pump.

so I talked to someone at a pool store and was told that the waterway hi-flo pump doesn't actually have 1.5 hp like the tag says unlike the hayward pump that they say was true to their label. what?????? :hammer:

anyone have any insight as to htis claim of true h.p.?

A 1.5 hp pump has a _LOT_ of suction.

Be careful if your Intex pool doesn't have a proper skimmer. On many of these pools, the intake is just a hole in the side of the pool 12 inches or so under the water line.

A few summers ago, a 13 year old girl drowned in Quebec when her long hair got cought in the intake of an inflatable pool. The original tiny pump of the pool had been replaced with a full size pump and filter.

k5ranger said:
so I talked to someone at a pool store and was told that the waterway hi-flo pump doesn't actually have 1.5 hp like the tag says unlike the hayward pump that they say was true to their label. what?????? :hammer:

anyone have any insight as to htis claim of true h.p.?

I believe that what they are talking about that the Waterway may be an up-rated pump which is equivalent to a 1 HP full rated pump. However, they have it somewhat backwards. An up-rated pump is closer to the true HP of the pump than a full rated pump which tends to have much greater HP than the label indicates.

I believe that the Hi-Flo pumps only come in up-rated versions however, they are still quite powerful and have a lot of flow. They can easily produce about 85 GPM at 45' of head.

From a newbie, I would say it's not worth it. Mine is a Waterway 1.5hp and does 80gpm on high speed on my 18ft round AG pool. I never use high speed because it literally spins everything in the pool in a counterclockwise circle. I had my pool rover in there once and it went for a speedy ride. lol It's just too much.

I'd spend the $200 or so, and save on electricity costs, AND you won't "owe" someone a favor for this pump. ha ha.

Good luck.

sounds like fun to me lazyman... :party: i plan on using it for the remainder of the year . i am on lay-of so to get a free pump is a great deal. i plan on buying a new pump next spring.

thanks to all who chimmed in, I really do appreciate the input.

the pump is installed...waterway hi-flo 1.5 hp hooked to a tagelus t50 sand filter which holds 225 of sand (got off craigs list for $50.00). hard piped 90% of the lines.......works like a charm.
not over powering, not a whirlpool, but have plenty of skimmer pull (not enought to harm or scare young children like many people have told me). i am so happy with the results and look foward to never having to look at another paper filter again!!!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.