Mastertemp 400 issue

matchu77

Bronze Supporter
Jul 27, 2017
clayton NC
Hello All. When I turn on the Mastertemp 400 heater for my spa, the valves turn correctly, the pool pump runs, and the startup display on the heater shows briefly 888, 128, R13, and the service system light is on. That display quickly changes to the water temp, and the service heater light comes on. the blower does not start and there is no heat. Also, I notice water starts to leak from the two joints of the chlorinator, which is in front of the heater, as if there is a too much pressure. The filter goes up 10 psi while the spa is on. The jests to the spa work, just no heat. I backwashed the filter, and opened the heater box, no debris, rodents or visible damage. any Ideas ? I have been dealing with high PH this season, and we have hard water. Thanks.

I would check the col. tube to see if there is something blocking it. I would also check to see if the tube should be before the heater. I really don't know but my gut says it might not be a good idea to have it there. It should be the last thing right before the water goes into the pool or spa.

Take a look at the system board to see which led is lit. You need to removes the top and flip it over to see the bard. It will help troubleshoot the issue.

When a system goes into spa mode typically the pressure would go up. Clean the filter and then check it out.

Listen closely when you turn the heater on, after it cycles through the 888, 128, R13. You may need to put your ear right next to the top of the heater (where the board is) to hear if the small relay on the board clicks (May sound more like a "tick" than a "click"), giving voltage to the blower. This click will be more subtle than the click you normally hear when the gas valve opens (you wont hear that one though if the blower never starts).

If you can hear the click, look at the blower. No click, look at the board. If you are getting the AFS error, that means the safety switches have been satisfied, and the board should be telling the blower to start (power to relay coil).

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.