Livinright

Jul 20, 2009
S. California
Hello Everybody:

I'm a first time pool owner thanks to a great sale on the above ground pool listed in my sig. I stumbled onto this site after doing a little web research before getting started and am both very thankful and overwhelmed! I don't know a thing about taking care of a pool and have to admit I was feeling a little over my head as I dove into "Pool School" for the first time :?

I did have enough sense to buy a basic test kit at Wal-Mart (yeah I have read, need the better one!) and analyze my water first before getting started. I'll begin filling my new pool with my city water tomorrow as follows:

TC 1-2
PH 7.5
TA 220ppm
TH 230ppm
CYA less than 30

I bought one of the small size floating chlorine puck thingys and a 1.5# jar of 1" pucks. From what I have read here this may be OK for now since my start-up water will essentially have no CYA and the pucks will bring this level up. Whether it is fast enough or not I don't know.

I do like the little I have read about the BBB method and hope I can keep the process simple. I really like the idea of using basic and inexpensive products available at my local market.

I have also read in various places that I need to shock the pool to get it started? I'm not sure about this either.

Anyway, thanks in advance for your insight and for the great volume of excellent info that is already searchable here at TFP! With any luck my family and I will soon be enjoying our new pool, filled with nice clean water !

Jim

Hi, Jim,

Welcome to the forum.

I have also read in various places that I need to shock the pool to get it started?
Probably not. You are off to a good start by getting chlorine (pucks) in the pool early. You can continue to use those for probably a few weeks and then test your CYA again and, when it hits 40, ditch the pucks and start using Clorox.

YOu'll only have to shock if you let the pool get away from you and algae gets a foothold. Post lots of questions and you'll get a lot of help from a bunch of nice people.

Hi Jim,

Welcome to TFP. :wave:

If I may suggest a slightly different route, and then you can decide which action to take... my reasoning is the pucks probably won't produce enough CYA at first, to keep your FC levels stable. Then you can use pucks for vacations, etc. they keep a long time stored properly.

I would suggest you pick up three 1 pound bags of Dichlor granular chlorine (look for "sodium dichloro s triazinetrione" on the active ingredient label).

Use 1/2 cup of Dichlor every night for the first 10 days. This will build your CYA level up to 30. Then stop using the Dichlor and switch to bleach each night, referring to the CYA chart for your recommended FC level and using the Pool Calculator to determine how much bleach that is each night. You shouldn't have to shock the pool to get started.

You can usually find 1 lb bags of Dichlor or 2 lb canisters (marked for Spa use) in the pool departments of stores like Lowes, etc. or you can find it at the pool store. Wal-mart probably won't have it.

Okay, that's my suggestion, good luck and ask any questions you may have. :wink:

FPM's suggestion is the better way to do your pool. I was hedgeing a little about the pucks.....agreeing with you for brevity's sake.

Both routes will work, but FPM's advice is a little better path.

Thanks for the welcome and quick advice which I will use immediately! I also ordered the TF test kit last night so I will have a better idea of what I am working with.

Again, thanks so much for your assistance! I'm sure this newb will be back with more questions later.

Jim

Hello - Me again :)

Hopefully you guys will catch this post and last question for now :roll:

FYI I filled the pool up last night (finished at 11:30pm) and today is the first day it has seen the sun. My kiddies are probably in it right now, so I need to start the process tonight.

Intex advises against the use of granular chlorine in their pools. Is that really a problem, or just a disclaimer added for the lowest common denominator of the population who may somehow abuse this? I plan on going with the Dichlor for 10 days as advised and will mix the pool with the skimmer after I dump it in. I'll of course run the pump for several hours right after as well.

I don't see how this could cause a problem but wanted to ask.

Thanks!

Jim

They advise against it because many time pool owners can be somewhat careless and will just "broadcast" the package without reading the directions, or the directions say to "broadcast" it. This can leave it undissolved, settling on the liner and bleaching it out. Also, often people will dump in a whole package all at once, which could raise the FC too high. Doing this often could cause it to fade.

As long as you just use the 1/2 cup, and predissolve it in a bucket of water, brushing if you see any on the bottom, you'll be fine. :wink:

Thanks FPM !

I found the Dichlor under the name Chlor Brite at Leslie's Pool Supply. Thankfully they did offer it in 1# bags. I tossed in my first 1/2 cup last night and did pre-dissolve it in a 5 gallon bucket first.

I also let the pump/filter run all night. It's claimed to be "1500GPH" but the water coming out of the outlet seems to be barely moving. Not very impressive. And with the vacuum brush attached there seems to be no meaningful suction discernible. I think this is going to be just a brush that accidentally picks up some dirt :roll:

I've also got two large jugs of 6% Clorox standing by and am ready to make the switch in about 10 days. My TF-100 test kit will be here next week so I can start doing some better testing then too.

Boy, I'm starting to feel a little confident thanks to the great advice here :wave:

Thanks again for your assistance !

Jim

Another Intex user posted something about a valve at the top of the pump that releases air or something, which improved the suction. Check your manual or look for such a valve, see if that helps. Also it may just be you need to replace the filter cartridge.

Hi FPM, and thanks for the thought.

I'm familiar with it and have completely bled the system of all air via that valve. It's also the first time the pump was run and has a brand new filter. I may take a chance and subject myself to Intex's infamous customer service just for giggles! Maybe I got a bad pump.

Jim

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support