Hot Tub ?

WshnIwslofn

LifeTime Supporter
Apr 12, 2007
Here's a ? for you. Where do the new posts go if you forget to put a subject in?
So, I'll start again!

Have a portable hot tub that shares my pool pump, sand filter and heater and that was winterized. It has a couple feet of pink water in it. Is this antifreeze? Do I run this to waste and it won't hurt the the pump? Also if there is antifreeze in the lines of the pool and ht, I just run it through? The stuff in the pool returns will go into the pool and won't be a problem?

You'll hear from me a lot! Bought a house in Nov with 32x16 vinyl inground w/ standalone hot tub and no directions except to go to the "pool forum". Trying to post only the stuff I didn't see addressed on pool forum. Glad this site started up!
Thanks
Kay

Hi Kay. Being from Houston, I don't know much about winterization but I wanted to encourage you to please post your questions here, even if you also look for answers elsewhere. You may get the same answer, but that will help not only add good content to the site, but also preserve the information since no one knows what the eventual fate of PF will be.

Thanks,
SeanB

PS. I'm sure someone else will be along shortly who can answer your question.

WshnIwslofn said:
Here's a ? for you. Where do the new posts go if you forget to put a subject in?
So, I'll start again!

Have a portable hot tub that shares my pool pump, sand filter and heater and that was winterized. It has a couple feet of pink water in it. Is this antifreeze? Do I run this to waste and it won't hurt the the pump? Also if there is antifreeze in the lines of the pool and ht, I just run it through? The stuff in the pool returns will go into the pool and won't be a problem?

You'll hear from me a lot! Bought a house in Nov with 32x16 vinyl inground w/ standalone hot tub and no directions except to go to the "pool forum". Trying to post only the stuff I didn't see addressed on pool forum. Glad this site started up!
Thanks
Kay

Thanks SeanB.
This will be the only site I post to, since you can't register at the pool forum. And the Mod's posting there (who hopefully all join this one) gave such good advice, why would you want to go anywhere else. Really, really glad you started this one!
Kay

It's antifreeze. I always start my pump on backwash and it goes out the waste line. Some will get in the pool, but I don't know that it can hurt anything.

JohnT said:
It's antifreeze. I always start my pump on backwash and it goes out the waste line. Some will get in the pool, but I don't know that it can hurt anything.

John,

Living down south, obviously don't have the worries of long term freezing temps. However, on an environmental side.... if caught, we would be looking at some hefty fines for dumping Antifreeze down the drains. Are there other modes to follow when winterizing??? Just curious.

divnkd101 said:
JohnT said:

John,

Living down south, obviously don't have the worries of long term freezing temps. However, on an environmental side.... if caught, we would be looking at some hefty fines for dumping Antifreeze down the drains. Are there other modes to follow when winterizing??? Just curious.

Propylene Glycol is used in the drinking water and drainage systems of RVs and summer cabins, as well as being sprayed on aircraft for deicing. It is also used in automotive engines as an environmentally friendly alternative to ethylene glycol. It is also added to food, particularly fat-free ice cream. The FDA classifies it as "generally accepted as safe" for food use. I think maybe I've heard it is dangerous to cats.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.