Another Maytronics Question - which one?

bizzle

Aug 31, 2017
Imperial, CA
Maytronics makes selecting their models unnecessarily difficult. I ran into the same issues trying to compare models when I was looking at a robot for our assocation's pool. When I called the representative was polite but unhelpful--she tried to help, but wasn't able to navigate the website any better than I. In fact, she was surprised at how the websites changed domains when switching between residential and commercial models...and between maytronics vs. maytronicsus if I remember correctly. Now I have to redo the entire painful process for my personal pool.

Anyway, can someone please provide some insight between the filter setups between the M500 and the 300i?

The S300i has a two stage filter basket. The basket itself has fine pleated filter panel walls with a removable mesh inner liner. See here:

99996225-US-3.jpg

The M500 has two smaller filter cartridges with two filter panels each. Those filter panels can be swapped to either fine pleated cartridges or coarse mesh panels. See here:

filter4.png

If you need any more reference for differentiating current Maytronics models refer to this thread (note online-only models not listed): A Breakdown of Dolphin's 2017 Lineup

Thank you for the quick response. My post was a response in another thread, but on its own seems like a lot of bellyaching to ask about the filter :)

I appreciate that link; I thought I looked around but did not find a quick reference like that.

It looks like the 300i has a newer style filter basket, but is it worth giving up the M500 features for that?
Is there any indication the M line will be updated to that larger basket or is it unlikely?

Thank you for the quick response. My post was a response in another thread, but on its own seems like a lot of bellyaching to ask about the filter :)

I appreciate that link; I thought I looked around but did not find a quick reference like that.

It looks like the 300i has a newer style filter basket, but is it worth giving up the M500 features for that?
Is there any indication the M line will be updated to that larger basket or is it unlikely?

Really depends on which features you believe you're giving up. If they're important to you then that may help the decision. I have had an S300 for two seasons and love it.

The description in that link provided seems to indicate the M500 is a stronger cleaning model (extra scrub brush and duel motors) with an extended warranty period. If I don't use it as often as the 300i because the filters are a PITA to clean then it doesn't matter how much better the M500 cleans the pool :)

The pool is kidney shaped with an 8ft deep end.

I am in the same boat as you. I used to have an M5 and loved it. The third brush does really work and will probably clean better but I have not tried the 300 yet. I am trying to buy a new one and I am torn. I love the idea of the single basket of the 300 series. One is easier to clean than two. Also the 300 being lighter makes it easier for the wife to use. Now of course I am splitting hairs and measuring easiness in terms of seconds and minutes, but of course I am inherintly lazy which is why I am buying a robot. I think the bigger issue is the lack of swivel in the 300 series. If all the time I save in filter cleaning is lost by dealing with an unruly cable then I will be frustrated.

Ugh, as I read my own post I realize I am no closer to a decision.

I am in the same boat as you. I used to have an M5 and loved it. The third brush does really work and will probably clean better but I have not tried the 300 yet. I am trying to buy a new one and I am torn. I love the idea of the single basket of the 300 series. One is easier to clean than two. Also the 300 being lighter makes it easier for the wife to use. Now of course I am splitting hairs and measuring easiness in terms of seconds and minutes, but of course I am inherintly lazy which is why I am buying a robot. I think the bigger issue is the lack of swivel in the 300 series. If all the time I save in filter cleaning is lost by dealing with an unruly cable then I will be frustrated.

Ugh, as I read my own post I realize I am no closer to a decision.

The 300 series and 30 series both have dual baskets that work together. The finer pleated one is on the inside, the coarser inside basket sits on the inside of the pleated basket.

The coarser inside basket takes seconds to clean. The pleated outside basket takes a minute or two.

I called and talked to a rep and they explained the dual basket is because of the stronger motor and so those won't be updated to a newer style of bag filtration.

I've received and used the M500 and it's awesome! The filters aren't a chore to clean at all so far.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.