New pool at the new house. Pics for advice please.

jond76

Jun 10, 2009
Houston, Tx
Hi everyone! I'm ready to join this little community of pool owners. So when we were scoping this house the pool was sparkly and nice. Well, after the deals were made, we went to look at again. Guess they decided that once they had a buyer, all pool maintenance would cease! Ha!

Anyhow, during the inspection the guy noted that there may be air getting into the system as seen in the spyglass on the pool pump. Also the chlorinator lid was leaking ( maybe one has to do with the other). But other than that, all seemed well.

So basically, as way of introduction, maybe someone can identify some of my equipment so I can make a sig with the info in it. Thanks in advance!

robotl.jpg

pumps2.jpg

pumparea.jpg

poolpump.jpg

poolwen.jpg

gauger.jpg

controlboxes.jpg

chlorinator.jpg

besides your equipment, have you started reading pool-school/ and ordered a test kit from www.tftestkits.net (or from leslies, see pool school for more info)? those are the two things that are going to help you take control of this pool from the start, before it gets any worse. you will find info on leak detection there too (see paragraph 3 in the leak detection article for info on air leaks). if that is a multiple cartridge filter, make sure it has all the catridges it needs (I see two sitting out).

It looks like you have a lot of the same equipment that we have. THe top photo is your pool cleaner-the phantom-it has a hose that hooks into a hole in the side of the pool, looks like a return. Ours works pretty well, (although he just got himself tangled up and managed to blow out a hole in his tail!), it has a adjuster on the side so you can make him clean the top (surface) of the water, the bottom (stays underwater) or both. We have found that ,for us, it works better if we keep him on the bottom and let the skimmers handle the top. The second photo shows what looks like a cartridge filter-big brown tub (there are two carts sitting on the ground) but it looks like you have the 4-cart size? If there are all 4 inside, then perhaps the previous owners bought two extra and rotated them to cut down on wear? The pressure gauge on the top of the filter can show you when your filters need cleaned. Once you clean them and find your "normal" number, the pressure will rise as the filters accumulate dirt. The bottom pic is of your inline chlorinator, which is where the chlorine tabs would go if you use them. Because I follow the BBB method, I no longer use mine. (You can always use it for vacations if you choose.) Hope that helped. The pool looks green, but its nothing a little POP (pool owner patience) and a LOT of bleach cant handle!! :mrgreen:

Thanks everyone, for the warm welcome. I have read through the Pool School before and I think I have a feeble grasp on things. But its a little confusing if you're not at the pool with a test kit in hand (at least for me).

As far as leak detection, I tried the bucket method but maybe I just don't know where to pour.

We are closing on the house the 29th but I'm making side trips to the house so the pool doesn't go down the crapper. Prior to my first post I connected the ole Phantom and kicked his butt in the pool. Then I figured it wouldn't hurt too dump some 6% unscented bleach in front of the return jets just to kick things off (2.25 gallons)

So tomorrow I will grab a test kit and try to get some numbers for you guys.

Here are some things I did so far:
Cleaned out the skimmers
Connected the pool cleaner
Subsequently cleaned out the pool cleaner.
Added bleach.

I'll be back with numbers. Thanks again!

I am interested to know what pool chemicals you see in storage there. Can you ask the current owner to walk you through how to maintain the pool, or request that they tell you about that during closing?

The only chems I've seen hanging around was a bottle of muratic acid. As for the the previous owner, he moved out of state, so a walk through by him is out.

I obviously want to go the BBB route since that just seems like a smart way to go.

Test results will be posted tomorrow. Thanks all!

Looks to me that all your equipment seems to be Hayward. Actually, I don't think your pool looks like it will be too bad to get back to sparkly.

Please order one of the recommended test kits. You won't be sorry and it will really help you to learn all about your pool.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I think I will run by Leslies and grab that k-2006 that way I can get started. I know better than to ask them anything, thats what you guys are for. Ha ha. I just use the "Hand over ears-LALALALA" method if anyone there tries to draw me into conversation. :-D

I don't believe Leslie's usually carries that kit in their stores. I could be wrong, though. None of Leslie's kits tests chlorine above 5 ppm. You really need to be able to test higher than that. You are better off to order one of the kits recommended here via the links provided. The prices are better, too.

Ok, some updates. The pool is 26,700 gallons.

I did find some other chems, which I will post below. And a test done on a left over test kit. The results are for chlorine and pH. Looks to me like the pH is a bit high and there is a dreadfully low amount of chlorine in there. Hmmmmm.

Picture time.

Attachments

• chem1.jpg
    chem1.jpg
    46 KB · Views: 860
  • chem2.jpg
    chem2.jpg
    41.7 KB · Views: 861
  • test.jpg
    test.jpg
    33 KB · Views: 862
Also, what I'm guessing is the first return coming from the pump spits out bubbles every 15 seconds. So obviously air is getting in the suction side somewhere. I've done the bucket test but nothing is lessening the air in the pump. I hope to God its not the underground plumbing.

Ha ha. I know that test kit blows. I've already order a tfp recommended kit so it's coming. I will research that shock bag and try to find out what's in it. The earliest I can take a sample to a pool store is tomorrow morning.

Any recommendations on supplies I should pick up while at the pool store?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.