Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: aqua rite control box humming and hot

1. Back To Top    #1

aqua rite control box humming and hot

I just paid to have my Aqua Rite salt generator transformer and circuit board replaced due to lightning - not covered by warranty. Now it hums terribly and feels very hot. I don't want to have to pay for another service call. I tried the service phone line and they just walked me through the readings saying everything looks fine - but my pool tests as having no chlorine in it at all despite 2 nights of superchlorinating so I'm thinking I have a problem. Any ideas?

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry

Re: aqua rite control box humming and hot

Call the guy back out to check and take voltage readings to be sure the unit is operating properly. He should not charge you for this (since its a safety issue). If he does, say OK and ask him who his insurance carrier is so you can file a claim if/when the unit has a problem and burns something down!

I don't think that will happen, but it may get your pool guy to get out to your house in a timely fashion.
    Factory Warranty Station for:
    Jandy, Pentair, Sta-Rite, Raypak, Polaris,
    and Paramount pool cleaning systems.

3. Back To Top    #3

Some amount of humming and very hot is normal, but extra humming or extra hot indicates a problem. Since the unit is new, it is difficult to tell if there is really a problem there or not.

A SWG is not a good way to raise the FC level up from zero. A SWG is deigned to maintain the FC level. It would be best if you adjusted all of the levels to appropriate places, including FC and then let the SWG take over from there. If you post a full set of water test results, we can help you figure that out.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4

We keep shocking and have fixed the water so chemically all seems good now. Think we may still have some algae (found some inside the light housings), but the water is very clear. It has been raining quite a bit, and we just can't seem to keep the chlorine level up. Just how much shock should we be using?

5. Back To Top    #5

You should be measuring the FC level and adding enough chlorine to bring the FC level up to shock level based on what your current CYA level is. See How to Shock Your Pool for details.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School