Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Where is my bond beam?

1. Back To Top    #1

Where is my bond beam?

Just had the gunite applied today. As you can see from the wall on the left, there is no bond beam. I won't have access to the blueprints from the engineer until later tonight but thought I'd throw this up and see what any builders here might think.[attachment=0:1hrzeo9n]P7202778 (Large).JPG[/attachment:1hrzeo9n]
    Attached Images Attached Images
    25' x 13' Roman, 12000 gal IGP, Plaster, with 500 gal Spa
    SWG, 1 HP Max Flo Pump, C-900 cartridge filter
    Solar heat

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry

Re: Where is my bond beam?

Wow... Thats a thin pool! Where are you located?
    Factory Warranty Station for:
    Jandy, Pentair, Sta-Rite, Raypak, Polaris,
    and Paramount pool cleaning systems.

3. Back To Top    #3

I am located in south Florida. I checked the prints and they showed two different cross sections - one with a bond beam, and one without. I called the engineering firm and they said that with an overpour deck, there is no need for the bond beam. If we had coping pavers or tiles, then it would require the bondbeam so that the deck had something to tie into. As it is, the rebar will be bent 90 degrees and become part of the overpour deck.

The walls are only that thin right at the top - 4" which is called out on the prints. As you go down, the black plastic is bowed out considerably and it gets a lot thicker. The bottom came out to about 14".
    Solar heat

4. Back To Top    #4

In the Industry

What have you paid for on your contract? Bond beams pools are stronger than non bond beam pools. There are builders here in S FLorida that use both beams. Yours is fine for an overpour. Its all about what you paid for though.

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by Frank R
    What have you paid for on your contract?
    The contract does not specify bond beam or not. We had quotes from 5 differnet pool builders and none specified bond beams or not. However, all 5 quoted overpour as that is what they all have been doing for the past few years. We did ask about coping, but it was $1000 more, and really, what we want is overpour with a double bullnose tile on the edge.
    Solar heat

6. Back To Top    #6

Curious how this pool turned out and what the long term stablity of the structure has been - I assume all is well?
    Inlaws Pool Boy since June 14th 2012, Pool built ~ 2003, In-Ground, 16'x32'
    13500 gal, Vinyl Liner, Fiberglass Slide, TF-100 Test Kit, Hayward 210T
    sand filter, A.O. Smith 1.5HP main pump motor (C48L2N134C1),
    Hayward SuperPump (model ?), Polaris 380 & PB4 Booster Pump

7. Back To Top    #7

In the Industry

Just about every pool I've ever seen done down here in SGA, has been constructed w/o a bond beam. I'd say about 90% or so also use a single pour canteliever deck over it.

8. Back To Top    #8

I've noticed a few of these non-beam pools from Florida. The thing I wonder about is the cantilever deck. Everything I've heard says that they should be separate from the pool shell and the posts above are stating the deck will be tied to the pool shell with rebar. What makes this possible, no freezing temps? Soil type? Both?
    Blaine

50' x 22' 27k gal shotcrete freeform, 2hp 2 sp Pentair Whisperflo, Pool Pilot RC-52 SWCG, Pentair TR 100 sand filter, Polaris 280, 2 Pentair Intellibrite LED lights with controller, french gray plaster, Butterfield U-20 "smoke"integral colored salt finish concrete cantilever deck on one side, flagstone coping on the other.

My pool build:
    osage-hills-pool-build-t50526.html

9. Back To Top    #9

Quote Originally Posted by bpricedo
    I've noticed a few of these non-beam pools from Florida. The thing I wonder about is the cantilever deck. Everything I've heard says that they should be separate from the pool shell and the posts above are stating the deck will be tied to the pool shell with rebar. What makes this possible, no freezing temps? Soil type? Both?
    A good question; one I'd like to know the answer to as well.

Even if the soil is stable and moisture or frost do not cause soil movement, my understanding that thermal expansion of a concrete deck can exert damaging shear forces on the pool wall (or bond beam), if the cantilevered deck is structurally bonded to the pool wall.

For that reason, cantilevered decks are not attached to the bond beam. Similarly, for pools with coping, there is generous mastic-filled expansion joint (gap) between the deck and bond beam.
    18,000 Gallon IG, Pebble Sheen, Quartzite coping
    Pentair 420 Cartridge Filter, 2HP Silencer, 400,000 BTU Heater, Platinum Legend Cleaner
    2x IntelliFlo VS pumps - Screenlogic Interface - Stenner 45MPHP10 15 Gal Bleach Injection
    TF100 + PoolCalculator + This Site!

10. Back To Top    #10

In the Industry

Most of these decks use a fiber mixed concrete in the deck, no rebar in them at all. They also use significantly less steel than you're used to seeing in all of the builds on here. Also they're not tied to the deck, they're seperated with a bond breaker material(I've seen sheets of plastic, roofing felt) on top of the beam.

11. Back To Top    #11

The OP had stated that the rebar sticking out of his pool shell would be bent 90 degrees and incorporated into the deck, that's the part I was questioning. If the cantilever deck is built as it should, separate from the shell, how does that allow them to get by without a bond beam in the shell?
    Blaine

50' x 22' 27k gal shotcrete freeform, 2hp 2 sp Pentair Whisperflo, Pool Pilot RC-52 SWCG, Pentair TR 100 sand filter, Polaris 280, 2 Pentair Intellibrite LED lights with controller, french gray plaster, Butterfield U-20 "smoke"integral colored salt finish concrete cantilever deck on one side, flagstone coping on the other.

My pool build:
    osage-hills-pool-build-t50526.html

12. Back To Top    #12

I'm the OP.

Pool structure is fine. No problems with the shell or the deck as far as major structural cracking or anything.
    Solar heat

13. Back To Top    #13

The web site referenced in the link below has some interesting pool engineering content. This particular link discusses decking in relation to the pool shell/bond beam.

http://www.pooleng.com/Minimizing-Swimm ... av-66.aspx

Lizzy
    18,000 Gallon IG, Pebble Sheen, Quartzite coping
    Pentair 420 Cartridge Filter, 2HP Silencer, 400,000 BTU Heater, Platinum Legend Cleaner
    2x IntelliFlo VS pumps - Screenlogic Interface - Stenner 45MPHP10 15 Gal Bleach Injection
    TF100 + PoolCalculator + This Site!

14. Back To Top    #14

Quote Originally Posted by lborne
    I'm the OP.

Pool structure is fine. No problems with the shell or the deck as far as major structural cracking or anything.
    Fantastic!
    Inlaws Pool Boy since June 14th 2012, Pool built ~ 2003, In-Ground, 16'x32'
    13500 gal, Vinyl Liner, Fiberglass Slide, TF-100 Test Kit, Hayward 210T
    sand filter, A.O. Smith 1.5HP main pump motor (C48L2N134C1),
    Hayward SuperPump (model ?), Polaris 380 & PB4 Booster Pump