Trying to find a new pool filter, and I need some help.

Jul 20, 2009
I have a small vinyl in-ground pool. It's about 8 feet wide, 24 feet wide and 4.5 feet deep. I need to get a new filter. My filter is 20 years old, and in the process of changing the sand, I've broken the pipe off of the bottom. Currently i have a sand filter, and am interested in changing over to a cartridge or a DE filter. Using the pool calculator i have figured out my pool is 7700 gallons. I'm wondering if I need to use an in-ground filter and pump, or can I go with an aboveground seeing as my pool is so small. Any help would be greatly appreciated thanks

I found a good selection of DE & cartridge filters here. Not sure at what volume you'd need to go from AG to in-ground. I am assuming if you buy "big", your filter system will last longer. If you get a smaller system, it may put more stress on it. I could be wrong though. Also, here are some AG filters.

duraleigh said:
If your pool is inground, you need an inground pump. Above ground pumps have difficulty priming and are not made for inground pools.

ok so that answers one of my questions, thank you. an in-ground pump it is, but what size filter and pump would be my best option? Most pumps i have found are for much larger pool sizes.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.