Question on replacing Hayward light

May 29, 2007
Hudson Valley, NY
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
I am interested in replacing our old Hayward Starlite 500 watt/120 volt light with a new LED fixture but Hayward tells me there are no LED fixtures that retrofit with my existing niche. Has anyone else been able to replace their older lights without it having to be part of an entire pool retrofit? We just did the liner 4 years ago and not in the market to do that again any time soon.

I would love to - but not sure how or if it's even possible. I suspect that the LED fixtures are far more shallow than the old light and if there's a void between where the new fixture ends and the old niche is/electrical connection, could that be dangerous? If anyone has any ideas as well as LED brands that this might work with I am all ears! BTW - love the phrase Frankenstein!! ;o)

I never tried it but what I meant was, basically cut the back end off of the old light so all the electrical stuff is gone but it still looks normal in the pool (the glass lense and rim are still in tact) and then see if you can fit the new led light behind the old light. Keep in mind I'm just guessing I never tried this before :-D

Hmm - I don't think that would work - the old fixture is big and goes way back into the niche - the lens and rim are a part of the fixture assembly - not a part of the wall niche - the fixture is set into the niche with just 2 screws, one on top and one on bottom of face plate. The unit allows for water to move freely around the fixture inside the niche to keep it cool. Whatever I get will need to either be an LED bulb that will fit into the existing socket of the old fixture or have its own fixture that fits inside the old niche. I am in a quandary.

Oh wait!

You mean something like the IGP231 ?

do a google search, I sold one on ebay a while ago that I got for free. It fits into a standard light bulb socket can this benefit you?

Super Vision IGP231-120 Galaxy LED Pool Light
NEXXUS GALAXY 120 VOLT LED POOL LAMP - IGP231-120LL

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.