Overland Park, KS
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
CircuPool RJ-60 Plus
So we have had our pool now for 2.5 seasons. This year we have been fighting it every step of the way. Take the water into the local pool company, walk out with instructions and chemicals. The fun thing is the readout that we are given says to do one thing, but they sell us different amounts and instructions. One time I went in and told the girl I already had a bottle of something and she told me it was something else I needed, but I should go ahead and add what I had too (even though she didn't mention it before I told her I had a bottle).

Then the straw that broke the camel's back if you will is we have been telling them that it was cloudy (and then green) but it wasn't until they told us the chemicals were "perfect" and we showed them a picture that they then tell us they cannot test for algae. We are finished!

Here is what I have done in the last few days.

1. Replaced the sand in our sand filter (S-310T). It has been running for almost 30 hours but still green water.
  2. Found out that our return eyeballs that had been pointed up all summer (making ripples on surface) should have been pointed down (they now are).
  3. Yesterday it was fine (chemical wise) when I bought the sand. Today when I went to test it we now have 0 Chlorine. So was told to add 5 pounds of Chlorine and a bottle of banish. I went ahead and added an additional 5 or so pounds of Chlorine an hour or so ago as well.

Here are the details for our pool:

• 35,000-40,000 gallon grecian 40x20
  • Shallow end around maybe 4' and the deep end at least 9'
  • We do have a salt system (Breeze SGS) but I don't know if it is working or not. We added salt at the beginning of the year, but now it is always just chlorine.

Here is where I am at:

• I need to get my own testing kit. Which one should I get?
  • At this point I think this year is a loss and I need to start planning for winter/next year. I am toying with the idea of completely draining it and starting over but don't know if that is the best plan.

Below is a picture from this morning.

20170827_094021.jpg

Any help people can give me I would greatly appreciate it!

:wave: Welcome to TFP!!!

A filter will never clear up a green pool. A green pool is a chemistry problem (not enough FC for your CYA ... see [FC/CYA][/FC/CYA]) not a filter problem. FYI, there is also rarely ever a need to replace the sand.

Test kit: Best value is the TF-100 sold by tftestkits.net ... get the XL option given that your water is green and you will use a lot of the reagent clearing it up. SpeedStir is also a great addon, but optional.

That looks like a vinyl pool, DO NOT DRAIN IT! That can ruin the liner and require it to be replaced.

To clear up the pool, you need to follow the SLAM Process process until you pass the 3 criteria to stop.

Please add your pool and equipment details to your signature as it will help us help you.

I will get the details added to my signature.

I will also read up on the SLAM process. I will also see if I can find a dictionary on here to explain all of the acronyms.

I have heard that I should just pour liquid bleach (unscented) into the pool...should I do that? Or do I need to wait until I get a test kit first?

The TF-100 XL for sure. The k2006 has 1/4 the amount of reagents for the FAS-DPD chlorine test you need to follow the SLAM process. And much less reagent for the CYA test too.

See the comparison in the link in my signature.

I ordered the testing kit.

When doing the SLAM process it mentions Bleach once, but then liquid chlorine the rest of the time. Are they interchangeable and a 1:1 ratio?

"Bleach" is usually at a 6% or 8.25% concentration from the grocery store
"liquid chlorine" is the same thing but usually at 10% or 12.5% concentration from hardware or pool stores

There is a calculator in the PoolMath app that helps your figure out what is the best deal for the amount of chlorine you get.

Just wanted to provide an update. Still waiting on the pool kit. However, the pool has now turned a cloudy blue...so I think it is heading in the right direction. We added 2 bottles of bleach Sunday and 1 each additional day since then. Once the kit arrives I will post numbers from the SLAM to see where we are at.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
This is good you are turning the tide, knocking back and slowing the growth of the algae. But algae is patient and waiting for you to back off so stay the course and when you get your testing kit follow the SLAM procedure to get back in control. Keep us posted.

Hello Fellow Kansan!

The SLAM process is all about patience and testing, and liquid chlorine is your best friend!
Just to get a rough idea, what type of chlorine have you been using? Before the liquid chlorine

Signature added.

Container said what is below. I think we might have used other stuff too, will need to find one of those containers to see if it was different.

BioGuard
Super Soluble
Granular Stabilized Chlorinator
Quick-dissolving sanitizer and shock

This one on Amazon.

On Sunday the 27th I put in 10 pounds of that stuff, 1 bottle of banish, 3 chlorine tablets (given free by pool store) and 2 bottles of bleach. Since the 27th we have added 1 bottle of bleach each day (121 oz I believe?). Hoping test kit gets here soon. I think I have found that Wal-mart and Lowes sell liquid chlorine and it looks to be 10% vs like 6% for bleach only for a few more pennies so I will go get some of that.

Last edited:
Yeah...I might just stick with liquid anyways. Or I am also hearing about a BBB method which I am not sure if that is something recommended after SLAM or what. First trying to get pool back together, then what to do next year.

BBB was the old name for the TFP (trouble free pool) method. I believe it stood for Bleach, Borax, and Baking soda. We still use those products, but changed the name because not all of them are required for all pools. I have never used borax or baking soda in my pool. People were getting confused and assuming that you had to use all three to follow our methods. That is not the case. We only add what is required as indicated by proper testing.

This differs from the typical pool store suggestion of "Dump this in and see if it works. That'll be $199.95, come again!"

Initial results:

[FONT=&quot]FC - 7ppm[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]CC - 2ppm[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]TC - 9ppm[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]CH - 500ppm[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]TA - 140ppm[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]CYA - 100 (or more)

So first I am going to backwash and add some water to get CYA down...then I can start addressing the others? Right now the pool is just cloudy.[/FONT]

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.