Added bleach... my ph went up.

Lazyman

Platinum Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
Mar 25, 2009
NJ
Is that supposed to happen?

I'm not sure this is the right place for this question. It may have something to do with my swg.

**Edit** My question was getting way too long, so I'll delete and rewrite.

I added 150 ounces of bleach and my swg went from 7.25 ph, to a 7,90 ph almost instantly. I did not shut off the swg when adding th bleach to the return stream. Maybe i should have? I also had a solar cover on at the time.

I added muriatic acid manually because my pump shut off with an error message "acid pump off- ph high". After the (8 ounces) acid, the ph stabilized to 7.5 soon afterwards.

Your 18' x 54" pool is around 8500 gallons. 150 fluid ounces (about 1-1/2 96-ounce jugs) of 6% bleach is around 8.5 ppm FC. It would raise the pH from 7.25 to 7.53 or from 7.50 to 8.04 or from 7.4 to 7.82 (I'm assuming 70 ppm TA, 80 ppm CYA, 3000 ppm salt and no borates). So it would be expected to rise, but not by the amount you indicated (it sounds like you've got a pH sensor on your SWG that has an acid dosing system). The pH will drop as the chlorine gets used/consumed (the consumption/usage of chlorine is an acidic process). 8 ounces of full-strength Muriatic Acid (31.45% hydrochloric acid) would drop the pH from 7.82 to 7.48 (with the same assumptions as above).

When you have an ORP or PH sensor, you need to be careful not to add chemicals too close to the skimmer(s) and/or drain(s). You don't want the chemicals getting to the sensor before they are fully diluted into the pool water.

JasonLion said:
When you have an ORP or PH sensor, you need to be careful not to add chemicals too close to the skimmer(s) and/or drain(s). You don't want the chemicals getting to the sensor before they are fully diluted into the pool water.

That may be what happened here. Should i take the sensiors out and clean them? They seem to be reading fine now. The ph is back down to 7.35. Not sure why it keeps going down so fast. I've been adding borax a lot. My big box of borax is almost empty! No swimmers since yesterday's addition of chemicals when all was fine.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.