Pressure Rise with Fountain Feature?

dpool

Sep 20, 2007
Okay - so I'm trying to adjust the TA - lowered the PH and decided to 'aireate' the pool water with our fountain feature.

I got the fountain a couple of seasons ago and could never get it to stay put. It would float away from the anchor and I'd end up watering the neighbors yard, the fences, and the grass - all not good when you're trying to keep the water IN THE POOL! Well, for some reason the FOUNTAIN is working and the anchor is holding (I used a piece of string because I couldn't find a small enough zip tie) and the fountain is looking wonderful and soothing and in the middle of my pool.

However, I noticed the presure gauge on the cartridge filter has gone up. When the system is on it's at about 8-9 psi - I've never seen the gauge move up (even when the the filter is VERY dirty) however, now the pressure gauge is at about 11. It's still with in the GREEN and RED marker that's on the gauge.

I'm wondering if this is a significant jump or even a DANGEROUS jump?

dpool

I'd be more worried about it not moving when the filter is dirty. Like Dave says, what you're seeing is perfectly normal. Any time you add restriction on the discharge of the pump (i.e. Fountain) you'll see a pressure rise.

Okay - Cool. I'll start to ENJOY the fountain (GRECIAN STYLE) more now that I'm not waiting for the PUMP to EXPLODE!

As for the pressure never rising when the filter is dirty. I have to think about that statement and try and remember if the pressure changed when I was cleaning up the SPRING SWAMP. I'm thinking it did a little THEN but it was a MESS and I was also scooping out algae like it was COOKED SPINACH! bleah! (THANK YOU BBB for my sparkling clear pool!)

I now have two cartridges and a HAYWARD pump and cartridge system so it's MUCH easier to swap out and clean a cartridge than in the past. I swap out a dirty filter, pop in the clean one and eventually clean the dirty filter at some point in the day to have it 'ready to go' for next time. This happens every couple of weeks now and while they look dirty - I think they're just that dirty and not clogged so maybe I wouldn't have a pressure change.

NOW My LAST cartridge and filter system was made "OFF WORLD." I could NEVER find replacement cartridges or parts. The cartridge housing was IMPOSSIBLE to open and close for ONE person - so I had to wait for help - so that sucker NEVER got cleaned. Ya, I had a few pressure problems with THAT Alien Setup. HA!

dpool

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.