Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: I have dense scattered stains!

1. Back To Top    #1

I have dense scattered stains!

Well i did the trichlor test and nothing happened. Today i put a chewable vitamin c tablet on a spot and that spot was clean in about 30sec.

So i dont know what to use for the stains other than stuff at the pool store. Maby load the pool up with orange juice. Just kidding. And I also need to add cya so i dont know if i need to wait till i get the stains out to do that.
    11,000g, AG, aqua rite salt, Dough Boy 1.5hp, well water with some metal in it, and 2 beautifull oak trees that dump a ton of leaves into the pool.

I use TF Test Kit

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: I have dense scattered stains!

how big is the area(s)?
    16x32 21,000 gallon in-ground exposed aggregate, 1.5hp pump, 120 sqft catridge filter, birdcage, solar panels, aquavac tigershark qc robot.

3. Back To Top    #3

15' x 30' vinyl pool

all the way around the pool about 2' 6" wide from the edge light shotgun saining on one end and heavy darker shotgun staining on the other end and light uniformed staning on the sides 1' up from bottom
    11,000g, AG, aqua rite salt, Dough Boy 1.5hp, well water with some metal in it, and 2 beautifull oak trees that dump a ton of leaves into the pool.

I use TF Test Kit

4. Back To Top    #4

sucky :\
    have you read this article and the one linked inside it (asorbic acid treatment)?
    pool-school/metal%20stains
    16x32 21,000 gallon in-ground exposed aggregate, 1.5hp pump, 120 sqft catridge filter, birdcage, solar panels, aquavac tigershark qc robot.

5. Back To Top    #5

im reading the ascorbic treatment now. i read the other article and if i read corectly i need to drain and refill to totally remove the metals or continuously use sequesterign agents?

I use TF Test Kit

6. Back To Top    #6

You don't want to refill with tap water if the tap water has the same metals....
    Helpful links: Pool School; CYA/Chlorine Chart
    24' round AG pool, 52" high, Raypak heater; Waterway 2 spd Pump;
    150 Sq ft. Clearwater Cartridge Filter; Former and DISSATISFIED "Pool Frog" owner
    http://www.PerfectlyClearPoolService.com

7. Back To Top    #7

what do people do then who don't get it trucked in (or do get it trucked in and it has metals anyway like the person a few weeks ago)? I thought that was what sequestrant was for?

8. Back To Top    #8

Exactly - if you have metals in your fill water, you have to use sequesterant anyway, that's why I was saying test the tap water first before you bother refilling with it, you could end up in the same boat, requiring sequesterant...
    150 Sq ft. Clearwater Cartridge Filter; Former and DISSATISFIED "Pool Frog" owner

9. Back To Top    #9

oh ok. well hopefully this time he'll start with it and avoid the stains altogether. I'm so glad I have no metals in my water...

10. Back To Top    #10

oh dont worry theres no way im draining and refilling. im sure people can bring metals into your pool one way or another. i was just wondering if i read it right and im stuck with that ****. i guess i am. i dont have the time for that acid treatment. I have a unique job that keeps me away from home for 3 weeks at a time then home for less than a week sometimes.

i used something last year from the pool store to remove the stains and 20min after adding it there was no trace of stains. i dont care how much it costs or if they come back if i only have to do it once a year. i did it last year and they didnt come back within the summer. what pool store stuff can i get?

I use TF Test Kit

11. Back To Top    #11

Maybe that was Metal Magic? Or Jack's Magic stuff?

12. Back To Top    #12

im not sure what it was but i think it was Metal Free. So wich ones do you guys think is the best ones

also what about those stain erasers i would think the would alow you to break it up and you could vacume it after.

I use TF Test Kit

13. Back To Top    #13

I have no idea about stains, but I have read in several posts here that metal free is not recommended because it's not HEDP based, so if you look on the ingredients for HEDP or Hydroxyethylidene Diphosphonic Acid it will be one of the recommended ones. but whether it lifts it right up or whatever, I have no idea. maybe you can go back to the pool store and tell them the problem again and see what they recommend (I assume that's how you got the idea in the beginning?)

14. Back To Top    #14

well i guess i will use jacks purple stuff since it works with SWG it's only 30 bucks so thats not to bad.

unless someone has experience with it and sugests another one.

I use TF Test Kit

15. Back To Top    #15

In the Industry

united chemicals Pool stain treat is a powder that can be added to the pool to get rid of the stains, also since it's a powder you can put it in a stalking and leave it on the stains for a stronger treatment.
    -Kevin
    X-Pert Pool Service
    x-pertpool.com
    X-Pert Pool on Facebook and @XPertPoolServic on Twitter
    22,000 gal / 16' x 32' / Vinyl / Hayward s244t /Pentair SuperFlo 1 hp

16. Back To Top    #16

United Chemicals Pool Stain Treat is just Oxalic Acid, which does the same thing as ascorbic acid, except that it is more expensive and comparatively dangerous to handle before it is dissolved in the pool. If you want an alternative to ascorbic acid, try citric acid, which is significantly less expensive, though it is slightly less effective.

X-PertPool, you have been recommending many different over priced brand name chemicals of dubious usefulness recently. Our goal here is to recommend inexpensive chemicals of proven effectiveness.

In any case all of these chemicals are used to lift the stain off the surface, you then need to use a sequestrant to keep the metals from redepositing.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

17. Back To Top    #17

In the Industry

Quote Originally Posted by JasonLion
    United Chemicals Pool Stain Treat is just Oxalic Acid, which does the same thing as ascorbic acid, except that it is more expensive and comparatively dangerous to handle before it is dissolved in the pool. If you want an alternative to ascorbic acid, try citric acid, which is significantly less expensive, though it is slightly less effective.

X-PertPool, you have been recommending many different over priced brand name chemicals of dubious usefulness recently. Our goal here is to recommend inexpensive chemicals of proven effectiveness.

In any case all of these chemicals are used to lift the stain off the surface, you then need to use a sequestrant to keep the metals from redepositing.
    I'm finding 2lbs bottles of pool stain treat for around 15 dollars online, and 3lb bottles of ascorbic acid for 24-45 dollars. Are you finding better prices? Is Ascorbic better pound for pound? I've let pool stain treat dissolve in my hand with no ill effects.
    I find it to be relatively cheap and it works without having to lower your FC. I'm not trying to push pool store stuff, I'm just happy with it because it works. by the way, according to the bottle it is also listed as a sequestrant.

love your site btw

Kevin,
    -Kevin
    X-Pert Pool Service
    x-pertpool.com

18. Back To Top    #18

Wow, ascorbic acid has gotten a lot more expensive in the last while. Still, Pool Stain Treat is double the price of generic oxalic acid. Oxalic acid can also cause problems with cloudy water (it can cause calcium to precipitate as an exceedingly fine powder). Citric acid is around $4/pound, and is probably the best choice right at the moment.

Oxalic acid isn't as dangerous as say muriatic acid, but it is a poison and can cause nasty burns to your eyes, if you get it in your eyes, and breathing problems, if you breathe in the dust. Ascorbic acid, on the other hand, is one of the safer pool chemicals.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

19. Back To Top    #19

In the Industry

Good thing I got that 100 lb box of ascorbic a few years ago before the price jump.
    -Kevin
    X-Pert Pool Service
    x-pertpool.com