Grill Recommendations ???

Jul 2, 2009
NE, Texas
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Wanting a new gas grill for the new deck I am building... I have always just bought the cheaper ( $200 ) grills from wherever and they have never lasted very long even out of the weather... I am thinking of going with one of the Weber grills Either the Genesis or the Summit and was wondering if anyone has had any experience with either of these two ??? I don't mind spending the $$$ if I know I will get several years use out of it.... Or does anyone have other suggestions.. Thanks

My Weber Silver Genisis has caught fire several times. The design of the grease trap allows grease/drippings to build up into this thick layer, which then catches fire when the grill preheats. Now we know to clean that out more often, but the first 3 times it was very scary, the grill is on our deck by our back patio door and I was afraid the propane tank would explode. The first time the fire dept came out.... :oops: :shock:

Other folks I talk to about their grills say this doesn't happen to theirs, so I don't know if that's just our luck? It's about 9 years old. Needless to say the inside looks pretty raunchy and the auto start stopped working after the second fire incident...

I was going to get the Weber Summit for my husband (welcome home gift)...all the reviews look great for it. I like that the knobs were in front instead of on top, so you could still put down plates,etc on the side of grill.

But, I had to go with the Sam's club version...I just got it all set up for him the other day. The Member's Mark (sam's club) is not as good as a Weber but, the cost was a huge factor for me. I'm sure the Weber would last alot longer (they feel so much stronger) and I heard they have good customer service.
I like the Sam's club grill and it had alot of nice features (like the weber) and I'm sure hubby will still be thrilled with it...if you can afford it go with the Weber :)

chris

I LOVE my Summit. I can cook low and slow if I desire using the smoker box burner and the opposite side burner, both set on low (grill will hover at around 250-275) or turn all burners to high to cook plenty of steaks on direct high heat. I haven't had the problem FPM described with my summit or my previous genesis silver, which I had for about 8 years. In fact I replaced it only because of the outdoor kitchen I built - DW wanted a new stainless grill to go with it. I gave my genesis to my f.i.l., and it still works like a champ, going on 11 years now. I replaced the gas hose and ignitor before I gave it to him; otherwise all is original.

I do give it a good cleaning every 2-3 yrs, and honestly, when I do this, it takes no more than 45mins to do. Otherwise, I burn any food residue off every time I cook by turning all burners on high after everyuse - any residue in the fire box turns to ash after a few minutes.

Before I bought the Summit, I tried one from Costco that was a beauty, and also had an oven, but only performed ok; and a Jenn-Aire from Lowes that also was beautiful, but garbage. I returned both, bought the Weber and have had no regrets since.

X-PertPool said:
if you don't mind spending the money why not a grill with a dedicated gas line? They are snazzy looking, plus no more running out of gas half way through a steak :)

My house is all electric .... If I had a gas line that would be a definite yes..... Thanks for all the replies... I have pretty much decided to go with the Weber .. I have just heard to many good things about them.... :wave:

Well I know you have already made your decision, but imma chip in my 2 cents anyway.

Weber all the way. Not because they are a better grill (though they may be, I dont know) but because they support their customer after the purchase in many many ways.

1. If you have a problem and call them, you speak to someone who knows about your model of grill. I have yet to contact them and speak to someone who did not know exactly what I was talking about within about a minute.

2. If you need a part, you can buy any part for your grill online or over the telephone. For any gas grill they have made. I have a hand-me-down Genesis silver that a friend gave to me because he was getting a new fancy one.

It needed $20 in parts to be restored to perfect working order, including the starter button mechanism.

This grill was made in 1996 and still works wonderfully, looks fine, and still has every replacement part I could ask for available for it should I need something.

HotNTexas said:
X-PertPool said:
if you don't mind spending the money why not a grill with a dedicated gas line? They are snazzy looking, plus no more running out of gas half way through a steak :)

My house is all electric .... If I had a gas line that would be a definite yes..... Thanks for all the replies... I have pretty much decided to go with the Weber .. I have just heard to many good things about them.... :wave:

I'd say above all make sure you get to play with it in the store, brand aside make sure you have enough grilling area and atleast 3 seperate zones. Even a good brand name grill isn't worth anything if you don't like how it is configured.

Well I bought me a Genesis EP 310... Got a pretty good deal on it and I really didn't need the side burner of the 320 ... I have a fish cooker that will be going beside it and a large propane tank I am having made into a smoker/ charcoal grill... I think I will have every kind of outdoor cooking covered... Thanks..

I forgot, I also have a Brinkman electric smoker to go with them also... :cheers:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.