New Build- want to include a small Lazy River

I have never seen the lazy river concept but think it is cool. I assume the returns will force a water direction but not sure just how much that will accomplish. It may be really lazy? How does the vacuum get around it? Does it get hung and have to return? Wonder if the new fangled robots could be programmed to do this better?

Been a few months since I last posted on this thread, we are now in the process of getting permits, we ended up using a Pb for the project, i'm just traveling too much to take on something like this. We also ended up choosing a diff builder and had to make some changes to the design. We might have to make some additional changes because apparently I cant use 70ft of my yard due to the septic system... I do however have a question regarding a tanning ledge, would a 4.5ft length x 10ft wide be sufficient? I know some of the loungers are like 72inches, I want as much swimming space as possible, but also want my wife to have her tanning ledge... even though i'm on a little over an acre, we are limited to how big this can be due to the septic and other city BS... we have to deal with since were annexed in recently

.New design.jpg

Ask your wife to pick out THE lounger she would want to use and go from there. Draw out the tanning shelf and lay the lounger out in hose or such and see what you both think about being able to walk around it and such.

Kim:kim:

4.5 x 10 seems it would be sized for one regular-sized lounger OR two adirondack chairs. My sun shelf is about 10 x 10, and it's good for two regular-sized loungers.

Jealous that you can get all of that for ~$75k, btw -- would be nearly double that in my neck of the woods ...

Have you considered AquaBright for the finish? Seriously cool stuff that will last ages!

How does the water in the river get propelled? What about the bridge, it seems gone in the second drawing?

Looks great ! Keep us updated with lots of pics, please?

Maddie :flower:

Have you considered AquaBright for the finish? Seriously cool stuff that will last ages!

How does the water in the river get propelled? What about the bridge, it seems gone in the second drawing?

Looks great ! Keep us updated with lots of pics, please?

Maddie :flower:

we originally wanted a strong current through the lazy river and were looking at a Riverflow pumps, however this changed when we considered the max length we could have the river and felt it would be way to strong for the kids, so we will have a VS pump for that section and I believe it was 5-7 jets along the river. We also decided to go with a Cedar Bridge instead of a rock bridge and upgrade to LED lights, we have 2 color changing LED's in the pool and 3 in the river. We are still throwing ideas on the finish and tile, my wife is choosing that. Another change we made was the slide, the kids wanted a "more" fun slide... so we are going with a Helix style slide, i'm ok with it since it's a big cost difference and allows me to upgrade elsewhere.

4.5 x 10 seems it would be sized for one regular-sized lounger OR two adirondack chairs. My sun shelf is about 10 x 10, and it's good for two regular-sized loungers.

Jealous that you can get all of that for ~$75k, btw -- would be nearly double that in my neck of the woods ...

Thanks for the info, as far as the 75k... ummm yeah.. we are quite a bit over that now... lol, amazing how things can change as you go though the process.

Thanks for the info, as far as the 75k... ummm yeah.. we are quite a bit over that now... lol, amazing how things can change as you go though the process.

LOL ... yep, that's how it usually works. First it's a few upgrades, then decking, landscaping, furniture ... suddenly you're double your original budget.

Be sure to look into that Helix slide before purchasing -- my PB wouldn't install them for awhile because they had a tendency to throw people off. I think the manufacturer may have corrected the issue, although I'm not sure of the fix.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
So, recently my wife brought the idea of a beach entry on the tanning ledge side, she really wants plaster, she did not like the feel of pebble tech on her feet. Does anyone have a beach entry done with plaster? any issues? Would there be a problem with the plaster if it were not under water the whole time? did the decking go into the water? Thanks all!

My wife wanted to have three loungers fit on our sunshelf / tanning ledge - it is 7' x 12' with an umbrella and bubbler in the middle. The lounge chairs we looked at are ~6' long and 30" wide. We can fit two with the umbrella in and three if we take the umbrella out.

I suppose a beach entry will allow the use of lounge chairs right on the "beach" - although the shallow slope will take away from the swimming area. If you make the entry too steep, it wouldn't be comfortable in the loungers.

I definitely understand the budget blowout of building a pool... we went into it thinking 'simple pool, about $25-$30k'...and the first "simple pool" quotes were right at $30k. A couple design changes and a slew of 'upgrades' and we were quickly to $47k...still a "simple pool" (no spa, waterfall, grotto, slide, bar or firepit).

Here are a couple of older threads about it:

Tanning Shelf or Zero Entry

Beach entry with automatic cover ???

Nervous new buider design questions

Here is a set of pics. If you open the one you like you should be able to find the thread it came from:

beach entry site:www.troublefreepool.com - Ïîèñê â Google

What I did was type beach entry in the white search box at the top of this page. There are many threads about to. This should give you a lot to think about.

Kim:kim:

Thank You Kim! I will check these out :)

My wife wanted to have three loungers fit on our sunshelf / tanning ledge - it is 7' x 12' with an umbrella and bubbler in the middle. The lounge chairs we looked at are ~6' long and 30" wide. We can fit two with the umbrella in and three if we take the umbrella out.

I suppose a beach entry will allow the use of lounge chairs right on the "beach" - although the shallow slope will take away from the swimming area. If you make the entry too steep, it wouldn't be comfortable in the loungers.

I definitely understand the budget blowout of building a pool... we went into it thinking 'simple pool, about $25-$30k'...and the first "simple pool" quotes were right at $30k. A couple design changes and a slew of 'upgrades' and we were quickly to $47k...still a "simple pool" (no spa, waterfall, grotto, slide, bar or firepit).

How wide and long did you have your pool built? I'm sure my wife would love the tanning ledge that big, but i'm nervous about loosing too much swim space, so that's sort of the reason why she came up with the beach entry idea so she could sill have her loungers any size, since the slope will be minimal going onto the tanning ledge, which will be 6-8 inches of water. How deep in water is your tanning ledge? Thanks!

How wide and long did you have your pool built? I'm sure my wife would love the tanning ledge that big, but i'm nervous about loosing too much swim space, so that's sort of the reason why she came up with the beach entry idea so she could sill have her loungers any size, since the slope will be minimal going onto the tanning ledge, which will be 6-8 inches of water. How deep in water is your tanning ledge? Thanks!

My understanding is that a beach entry requires much more space than even a larger tanning ledge.

FWIW my pool has a tanning ledge/baja shelf that's about 6'x10' and is 14" deep. I'm in the process of remodeling, and planning on extending it to be 8'x10'. If I were building a new pool with a tanning ledge I think I'd make it 10-12" deep rather than 14".

We have a small yard to work with, the entire lot is 50' x 100'. So my wife designed the pool in a 'L' shape. The main part of the swimming pool is 12' x 25' and the short leg of the L (9' x 12') is almost all sunshelf. The water depth is 6".

I am completely not a fan of beach entries, except on very large pools, where flagstone is used. My feeling is that the sloped are is quite useless, unless you need a way to get a wheelchair into a pool like at the Y.

My sister's pool has a beach entry. That area is just used to enter/leave the pool. You would not want a chair on that slope. You have to consider that you have a minimum of 6" from the decking surface to the water level, then to get down to 6-8" water depth, you are talking about a lot length wasted. It is truly an idea that I think seems nice and cool, but in reality doesn't pan out that way in real life usage. I would suggest that the reason you don't see them that often is because they aren't very practical or a good option for folks. If they were, many more would be built. Second is the greater potential for a line to form at the water level of a beach entry versus on waterline tile. Water chemistry maintenance does affect this, but beach entries are more prone to showing a line.

Now flagstone beach entries in a large pool like the picture below can be stunning. But I don't think that's what this scenario is. Don't get me wrong, your pool is large at 26K gallons, but I mean ones with a really big open area. Your size comes from depth and extra space on the lazy river area. I think you'd be way into your shallow area before reaching the actual shelf depth.

Flagstone beach entry.jpg

I am completely not a fan of beach entries, except on very large pools, where flagstone is used. My feeling is that the sloped are is quite useless, unless you need a way to get a wheelchair into a pool like at the Y.

My sister's pool has a beach entry. That area is just used to enter/leave the pool. You would not want a chair on that slope. You have to consider that you have a minimum of 6" from the decking surface to the water level, then to get down to 6-8" water depth, you are talking about a lot length wasted. It is truly an idea that I think seems nice and cool, but in reality doesn't pan out that way in real life usage. I would suggest that the reason you don't see them that often is because they aren't very practical or a good option for folks. If they were, many more would be built. Second is the greater potential for a line to form at the water level of a beach entry versus on waterline tile. Water chemistry maintenance does affect this, but beach entries are more prone to showing a line.

Now flagstone beach entries in a large pool like the picture below can be stunning. But I don't think that's what this scenario is. Don't get me wrong, your pool is large at 26K gallons, but I mean ones with a really big open area. Your size comes from depth and extra space on the lazy river area. I think you'd be way into your shallow area before reaching the actual shelf depth.

View attachment 73070

Thanks so much for sharing, I will definitely give this some more thought, the pool portion, not including the lazy river is 26k gallons, i'm not sure how to calculate the water in the river, it's 4ft wide, 4ft deep and estimated 48-52ft long. PB suggested using 3ft of stone for the beach entry, so I will have a 3x10 section with 1 ft of it under water 1 ft on the beam and 1ft out of water and transitioning to the decking, I asked to make the slope as minimal as possible. I have changed the dimension of the pool from inside coping to inside to 42ft to give me more of the shallow 4ft area in the pool and went 20ft wide at it's largest section in the freeform. I have a feeling the cleaning of the lazy river will be a pain unless I can put a robot in the middle that will only reach the length of the river. The end of the river has a drop into 9ft of water. Hopefully I can find a solution to keep the river area clean.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.