New Build- want to include a small Lazy River

I think we are going to go with the 6" depth as well.
It's a good depth for us. In addition to the bubbler and umbrella sleeve on the floor of the sunshelf, we have one return in the wall that creates a current toward the skimmer, and a 'colorlogic' LED light. We went back and forth about the extra cost of the sunshelf light, but I'm really glad we added it. Here's a night time picture..
Backyard.jpg

It's a good depth for us. In addition to the bubbler and umbrella sleeve on the floor of the sunshelf, we have one return in the wall that creates a current toward the skimmer, and a 'colorlogic' LED light. We went back and forth about the extra cost of the sunshelf light, but I'm really glad we added it. Here's a night time picture..

Your pool looks great with the lighting, my wife wants our to light up like it was mid day! so we have 2 in the pool area and 3 along the lazy river going in. I really wish we had more space available, just too many easements with our property...

- - - Updated - - -

So recently I was told we have to pick a new spot for our equipment because apparently I have to be a certain amount of ft away from a window because we are using a propane heater due to no gas in our neighborhood. Did anyone else have to deal with this? what did you do to cover it? I don't like the idea of the equipment being so visible from the pool area and wife is definitely not happy about this change. I was told if it wasn't for the buried propane tank and heater, I would have been able to place it where we originally planned along the side of the house, but due to the window being there we cant.

In our area, the distance from the heater to the window is 4 feet. Our heater / equipment pad is along the side of the house. We were able to center the heater between two windows and ~3 feet away from the house. That put the corner of the heater 4.5 feet (diagonally) from either window. (They measure from the actual window sill to the top of the heater - with our home on a crawl space, the bottom of the window is pretty high off the ground.)

Note: This put the other side of the heater only 2 feet from our property line, which the pool builder said needed to be at least 3 feet. PB agreed to submit it this way and the city approved that plan.

Septic 1.jpg

So it's been a couple months waiting on septic permits, but today it finally happened!!!!! one step closer to being able to dig! it took 6 weeks to get a septic engineer out here to do the drawings, get them approved and have the lines re routed, I have an inspector coming out on Wed as it's their earliest available date, once approved I can get a dig date set! been soo frustrated through this, at times was wondering if it was even going to happen.. A lot of work has been done in the yard, took down a 45 ft cedar tree along with 2 others, and enough tree trimmings to fill 4 16ft trailers!..

There you are!! Man it has been a while! uggggggg but at least you are closer!

That is a lot of tree work with what you said...........4 16' trailers??? :shock: Glad I did not have to do all of that work!

Kim:kim:

LOL, yes it's been a while as I've just been playing the waiting game with the city, after going back and forth with my wife, she really wanted a beach entry, so that's about the latest change we have done, now there will be a beach entry going into the 5x10 tanning ledge and we have decided on a 6inch depth of water in that area with 2 bubblers. Hoping all goes well with inspection of the septic lines on Wed and looking forward to getting this going! lol :)

Finally the time has come to update this thread with an actual start date. The good news is my PB called me and said they can start digging tomorrow, the bad news is I'm working in Ga, Sc and Al this week... I went ahead and approved the dig for tomorrow to get a start on the pool since I've been waiting months for this to start with all the set backs. I'm excited but at the same time kinda bummed because I really wanted to be there for the dig. When they dug up my yard to re route the septic lines, we found an old metal ring and 2 old rail road spikes about 18 inches under ground so I was curious to see if this big dig uncovered anything else. I hope the dig goes well tomorrow, i'll be bugging my wife for pics all day lol!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Excavation crew is there :), however they measured something wrong and are now shifting the pool layout... kinda freaking out over here, but I trust the PB and hopefully my wife can get me more details, they are re mapping the pool layout right now... going to be hard to get things done at work today lol, I told her I don’t mind it being bigger :) she said “stop, it’s big enough” guess I just want a water park back there, unfortunately wants and budget don’t seem to work out sometimes lol

I had to move some of my septic lines. My tank was able to be worked around, but moved 4 septic lines. It was 8K. I had to have a permit to make sure that there was enough septic field and county board of health had to inspect. My septic people handles that. My personal challenge, was that I had to remove trees to move the septic lines. My city had JUST passed an ordinance that any tree wider than 6" required a tree removal permit. Could not get the permit for the trees until the septic was approved, as I had to be sure what trees had to come out. I did not want to pull trees and have to revise the plan.
If I did not move my septic lines, the pool would have been much smaller and way over on one side of my yard. the whole process took about 3.5 weeks for permits and service. The total cost was about 11K (still have to replant some trees). It was a bitter pill to swallow, but in the end, I am quite sure that it was worth it. In all reality, you will probably NEVER move your pool, so why not build it where you really want it.

your design is beautiful. I agree with someone else here, that if you can upgrade to a pebble finish, it would be a good idea. It all adds up so quickly!

I had to meet with 6 pool builders before I found one that I liked. 2 of them never really provided plans. The one I chose had to re-design the plans about 10 times before we came up with one that I really liked!

Good luck with your pool. Your current plan looks like a lot of fun!

That must be driving you nuts that you can’t be there!

Oh yes! I cant wait to get home!

- - - Updated - - -

I see some of that rock........oh no! Did you expect that?

THANKS Wife!!!

Kim:kim:

We thought we had a good chance of hitting rock, they just called it a night after 3 hrs of jack hammering, they said they have about 1 hr left tomorrow in the deep end and the rest of the pool has been fine with the excavator. Here's the last pic my wife took today.

Optimized-end of day.jpg

I had to move some of my septic lines. My tank was able to be worked around, but moved 4 septic lines. It was 8K. I had to have a permit to make sure that there was enough septic field and county board of health had to inspect. My septic people handles that. My personal challenge, was that I had to remove trees to move the septic lines. My city had JUST passed an ordinance that any tree wider than 6" required a tree removal permit. Could not get the permit for the trees until the septic was approved, as I had to be sure what trees had to come out. I did not want to pull trees and have to revise the plan.
If I did not move my septic lines, the pool would have been much smaller and way over on one side of my yard. the whole process took about 3.5 weeks for permits and service. The total cost was about 11K (still have to replant some trees). It was a bitter pill to swallow, but in the end, I am quite sure that it was worth it. In all reality, you will probably NEVER move your pool, so why not build it where you really want it.

your design is beautiful. I agree with someone else here, that if you can upgrade to a pebble finish, it would be a good idea. It all adds up so quickly!

I had to meet with 6 pool builders before I found one that I liked. 2 of them never really provided plans. The one I chose had to re-design the plans about 10 times before we came up with one that I really liked!

Good luck with your pool. Your current plan looks like a lot of fun!

I totally understand about feeling like your just throwing $$ away... I had 2 options, 1 was to crush the existing system and install a new one in a new location at the bargain price of $8-11k, after several calls to other septic companies, we found that it was possible to just relocate the spray heads and i had to add a timer on my system. Total for relocating spray heads, permits, and sanitarian engineer drawings was $2k. I cut down my own 45ft cedar tree so that saved me about $1k right there. I have not heard of having to pull a permit to remove a tree before. They got really far today with the dig, I will get an update form PB tomorrow on plumbing and rebar.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.