New Build- want to include a small Lazy River

Tx-C

Bronze Supporter
Aug 23, 2017
Midlothian/ Texas
New Build- want to include a small Lazy River (In progress- Broke Ground 5-16-18)

Let me start over with this Post, I'm new here and so far I have only met with 1 Pb with 2 more coming out in the next week. The pool we have in our minds would have a 30-40ft lazy river layout. I'm in a tx area where we have a lot of Rock and I have a problem with having a septic tank in the area we want the pool, so far I have received quotes of 7k-11k for a new septic system as they said it would be about the same costs and if trying to relocate the existing system, the tank could crack anyway. has anyone had to deal with a similar situation? I hate the fact that I would have to dump 7-10k for no reason.. as m system works fine, but the preious owners/builder of my home decided to put in a horrible spot with so much room available for its location. The Pb we met with suggested Pentair equipment, i'm not too familiar with pool equipment brands but I will spend the next few weeks combing through this great site. Also would anyone in the DFW area have any recommendations on PB or subs if we decide to possible try the Owner Builder route, I'm South of Dallas in Ellis County. I'm trying to stay within a $75k budget but willing to go up to 90k. Thank you all for your help.

In many places you need an approved drain field location and a reserve drain field as well in case the first one gets fouled. Do you just need to move the tank or relocate the drain field(s) as well?

I would have to relocate the drain field as well since they ran the lines right down the middle of the property... again no idea why they would pick such a bad location. We sit on just over 1 acre so it just baffles me that with the amount of space they made pretty much impossible for future expansion into the backyard or placement of a pool without having to relocate/install a system. Are the quotes i'm getting avg? 7-10k?

Does that figure include perc tests and engineering/permitting? How about removal and haul-off of the tank and spoil? Will you need to budget for tree removal?

their 7-10k quote is for the removal and installation of the new equipment. My 75k budget is for the pool only not including the septic removal. I will need to remove all the smaller trees in the more open area and 2-3 large cedar trees, i'm looking forward to what the PB comes back with as far as a design.

After contacting 5 PB, 2 showed up and only 1 has sent a design over after 3 weeks. Would love some input on this design. Were hopping to start around Jan, as I want to be around more and when this is going on and just too busy the rest of this yr. My concern was the size, I just want it to be big enough to have family and friends over and it not be too tight. Also, as in my first post, I have a lot of cedar trees and I think I might remove some because I don't want all the stuff in the drop constantly in the pool and I think a couple would be actually in the way. Any ideas on this? Thanks all!

Attachments

• New design.jpg
    New design.jpg
    50.1 KB · Views: 647

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Awesome design! Love the wet deck/LR area. Would have loved to do something like that if we had the room. As far as PBs go, we put ours in three years ago and I got six bids. Four were not worth considering for a variety of reasons. But it came down to Accent in Arlington and Puryear in Fort Worth. It was really a toss up in terms of price and reviews/referrals, etc. We went with Puryear mainly because they threw in some extras at the time that would have cost extra elsewhere. But I'd have been really happy with Accent too. We had good referrals from friends who had used both and found them both to be a good combination of cost and quality versus the others I looked at. Holler if you have any PB questions since I'm in your area and we went through it recently.

I received the following for this build, any thoughts or ideas on this proposal? equipment you would not use? anything you would recommend? Any input on a propane system? Would a heat pump be a better option? Thank you all for you input.

Swimming Pool Specifications

Length: 43
Widest Width: 20 ft

Depth- 4-5-9 Type 4 Diving Pool

Equipment Specifications

Filter Pump: Pentair Intelliflo VST Variable Speed Pump

Filter: Pentair 520 Cartridge filter

Cleaner: Pentair Legend with Booster Pump

Skimmers: 2

Main Drains: Dual Safety Drains

Return Inlets: 5

Lighting: 6 ( 2 pool) (1 Spa) (3 River)

Fill Line: Fill line connected to hose bib

Finishes

12" Coping Ledge:
Oklahoma Flagstone or Similar

6" Tiled Waterline:
From Standard Samples

Interior Surface: Standard White Plaster

Spa Specifications

Size: 7" x 7’ Water Dimensions

Jets: 6

Tiered Spillover to Pool

Raised 18" above Pool

Heater

Pentair 400,000 Btu Propane Heater

Shared by Pool and Spa

Slide:

S.R Smith Helix 2

Lazy River

Approximately 45 Long x 4 Wide x 4’ Deep

Tile and Coping to match Pool

Plaster interior surface

3 LED Lights

5- Return Lines

I really like your design, I would likely go with a SWG and Automation and upgrade the lights to LEDs. Depending on the price of propane I'd be more inclined to go with a Heat Pump as I'm sure it would be more cost effective in your climate. Can't wait to see the finished product.

Salty

I like what you posted so far.

Lets talk about valves for the skimmers and returns. You need to use GOOD valves. Here is one example:

Diverter Valve 1/5” and 2” - Pentair

You do NOT want the ball valves like you can buy from Lowes.

You want each skimmer to have it's own valves so you can adjust them as you learn your pool.

I would have the lazy river returns on their own valve and the pool returns on their own valve. That way you can adjust them as you want/need.

Your main drain should also have it's own valve.

Make sure they use unions on all of the equipment so you will not have to cut the PVC when you need to service or replace something.

That lazy river ride sounds like the real deal! That is going to be fun!

Kim:kim:

Only thing that jumps out at me that I would definitely change is the standard white plaster. I'd definitely go with a pebble or something similar that are not only longer lasting, but have some color options as well. Especially with your incredible setup. I know it's yet another extra expense, but we negotiated ours in after we'd been quoted a price. We had a quartz finish in our bids, but really wanted pebble. Once it was narrowed down to two, I called the PB I was leaning toward and told him if he threw the pebble in for the same price, I'd sign the contract that day. He made a call and got back to me in 5 minutes and said yes.

Really love the plan and looking forward to seeing this one!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.