Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: New Build- want to include a small Lazy River

1. Back To Top    #1

New Build- want to include a small Lazy River

Let me start over with this Post, I'm new here and so far I have only met with 1 Pb with 2 more coming out in the next week. The pool we have in our minds would have a 30-40ft lazy river layout. I'm in a tx area where we have a lot of Rock and I have a problem with having a septic tank in the area we want the pool, so far I have received quotes of 7k-11k for a new septic system as they said it would be about the same costs and if trying to relocate the existing system, the tank could crack anyway. has anyone had to deal with a similar situation? I hate the fact that I would have to dump 7-10k for no reason.. as m system works fine, but the preious owners/builder of my home decided to put in a horrible spot with so much room available for its location. The Pb we met with suggested Pentair equipment, i'm not too familiar with pool equipment brands but I will spend the next few weeks combing through this great site. Also would anyone in the DFW area have any recommendations on PB or subs if we decide to possible try the Owner Builder route, I'm South of Dallas in Ellis County. I'm trying to stay within a $75k budget but willing to go up to 90k. Thank you all for your help.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: self build lazy river pool questions

I will call in some of the people who did self builds and see what they can tell you!

Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: New Build- want to include a small lazy river

yard.jpgThank You kim, here is a picture of the backyard I'm looking to put this pool in.

4. Back To Top    #4

Re: New Build- want to include a small Lazy River

In many places you need an approved drain field location and a reserve drain field as well in case the first one gets fouled. Do you just need to move the tank or relocate the drain field(s) as well?
    17' x 30' rectangle pool, two 7' x 7' baja decks, 6' x 8' raised spa. Hayward 2HP VSP for features, filter and returns. 2HP single speed for 9 spa jets. 1HP blower for spa bubbles. In-Floor cleaning, Cartridge filter, AquaConnect automation, 400K BTU NG heater. Plaster is Stonescapes mini-pebble in Aqua Blue + abalone shell TF-100 Text from Neighbor -- They're digging your pool!

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by BigEinAZ View Post
    In many places you need an approved drain field location and a reserve drain field as well in case the first one gets fouled. Do you just need to move the tank or relocate the drain field(s) as well?
    I would have to relocate the drain field as well since they ran the lines right down the middle of the property... again no idea why they would pick such a bad location. We sit on just over 1 acre so it just baffles me that with the amount of space they made pretty much impossible for future expansion into the backyard or placement of a pool without having to relocate/install a system. Are the quotes i'm getting avg? 7-10k?

6. Back To Top    #6

Does that figure include perc tests and engineering/permitting? How about removal and haul-off of the tank and spoil? Will you need to budget for tree removal?
    17' x 30' rectangle pool, two 7' x 7' baja decks, 6' x 8' raised spa. Hayward 2HP VSP for features, filter and returns. 2HP single speed for 9 spa jets. 1HP blower for spa bubbles. In-Floor cleaning, Cartridge filter, AquaConnect automation, 400K BTU NG heater. Plaster is Stonescapes mini-pebble in Aqua Blue + abalone shell TF-100 Text from Neighbor -- They're digging your pool!

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by BigEinAZ View Post
    Does that figure include perc tests and engineering/permitting? How about removal and haul-off of the tank and spoil? Will you need to budget for tree removal?
    their 7-10k quote is for the removal and installation of the new equipment. My 75k budget is for the pool only not including the septic removal. I will need to remove all the smaller trees in the more open area and 2-3 large cedar trees, i'm looking forward to what the PB comes back with as far as a design.

8. Back To Top    #8

I was thinking you may have to remove some trees for your drain field . . .

9. Back To Top    #9

After contacting 5 PB, 2 showed up and only 1 has sent a design over after 3 weeks. Would love some input on this design. Were hopping to start around Jan, as I want to be around more and when this is going on and just too busy the rest of this yr. My concern was the size, I just want it to be big enough to have family and friends over and it not be too tight. Also, as in my first post, I have a lot of cedar trees and I think I might remove some because I don't want all the stuff in the drop constantly in the pool and I think a couple would be actually in the way. Any ideas on this? Thanks all!

Rev 1.jpg

10. Back To Top    #10

Thats pretty awesome. That would be 100 k in my neck of the woods. Plus actually. Sweet design though!
    35x23/20 free form gunite 3.5-6 feet water. approx. 20,000 gallons. no spa or water features. 2 skim, 2 ret, floor ret, floor return. 2 inch solid. suction cleaning line. 1.5 inch solid. super blue diamond brite. NPT Gemstone Blue 2x2 with custom waterjet cut Disney Mickey markers. all pentair equipment. master temp 300,000 BTU. de 60. inteliflo 3.0 VS. swg ic40. 3 globrite LED lights. easy touch 4 with screen logic. tf-100/ salt kit

11. Back To Top    #11

Quote Originally Posted by jimim View Post
    Thats pretty awesome. That would be 100 k in my neck of the woods. Plus actually. Sweet design though!

Thanks, I forgot to ask about heating, any experience with a heat pump? Wife wants this thing heated to extend the swimming season, we live outside city limits for now so we don't have gas in our neighborhood. Thanks

12. Back To Top    #12

That looks soooo fun!!

Just getting started! Planning an in-ground free form pool that we've been wanting for YEARS. All our little boys can swim now! Making it happen!

13. Back To Top    #13

Nope. I have gas. My cousin has a heat pump. He is up north too. Pretty much his runs all the time to maintain temp. I haven't talk with him about it yet really.
    35x23/20 free form gunite 3.5-6 feet water. approx. 20,000 gallons. no spa or water features. 2 skim, 2 ret, floor ret, floor return. 2 inch solid. suction cleaning line. 1.5 inch solid. super blue diamond brite. NPT Gemstone Blue 2x2 with custom waterjet cut Disney Mickey markers. all pentair equipment. master temp 300,000 BTU. de 60. inteliflo 3.0 VS. swg ic40. 3 globrite LED lights. easy touch 4 with screen logic. tf-100/ salt kit

14. Back To Top    #14

Awesome design! Love the wet deck/LR area. Would have loved to do something like that if we had the room. As far as PBs go, we put ours in three years ago and I got six bids. Four were not worth considering for a variety of reasons. But it came down to Accent in Arlington and Puryear in Fort Worth. It was really a toss up in terms of price and reviews/referrals, etc. We went with Puryear mainly because they threw in some extras at the time that would have cost extra elsewhere. But I'd have been really happy with Accent too. We had good referrals from friends who had used both and found them both to be a good combination of cost and quality versus the others I looked at. Holler if you have any PB questions since I'm in your area and we went through it recently.
    14,700 IG chlorine, NPT mini pebble Midnight Blue built 7/14
    Jandy cartridge filter, 2.0 HP Jandy E-pump variable speed
    Taylor K-2005C test kit
    15' weeping wall water feature, Jandy LED, Polaris 3900 Sport cleaner
    Aqualink PDA

15. Back To Top    #15

Man that looks like fun!!

How wide is the lazy river? How big is the wet deck?

Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit