Basic controls to fully automated..??

sredish

LifeTime Supporter
Jul 3, 2007
North of Dallas
My builder set me up with all Hayward stuff. Standard lever Hayward valves, a standard Intermatic dual timer setup (1 for main system / 1 for the Phantom booster). I have valves for the spa, waterfall along with the standard jets, skimmers and main drains. Then I have another box for the Aquarite system.

How hard would it be to rewire and have it controlled by one of those automated controllers with the remote, like the Aqualogic? Would it work with the aquarite system, or would I need to change it out? Would I have to change the valves are is there a motor/actuator to replace the levers.

We're getting ready to build a big 18' x 24' cabana with a full kitchen and stuff and I'd like to have some auto controls in there.

poolio,

The Aqualogic was recently on sale for $499 at Leslie's. I bought mine about three weeks ago at this price.

Unfortunately, I am still waiting on delivery. Even worse, the Leslie's where I purchased the unit can only say that the unit is "in transit" and they can not say when I will receive the unit. If I don't have the unit in another week or so (total of one month waiting) then I plan to go in and kick some Leslie's booty.

Interestingly, the local Leslie's yahoo's say that the Aqualogic unit even contains a salt water generator. I am EXTREMELY sceptical of this claim, but will happily accept the SWG if it happens to show up in the Aqualogic package.

Titanium

I was mistaken. The Hayward Aqua Logic PS4 Controller that I bought from Leslie's was actually $509.99, and it just went on sale again in the last day or so.

http://www.lesliespool.com/shopping/pro ... ctID=14855

Now that is strange. I notice that the regualr price for this system is now listed tonight at $2349.95. Earlier today and for at least the last month (when I became aware of this system), it has been listed at a regular price of $599.95.

I still don't have my Aqua Logic after an entire month of waiting. I had ordered the unit at my local Leslie's retail store. They called today and said they don't have access to this unit being a retail store, and cut me a refund check. I then turned around and ordered the system from Leslie's from their 800 number, and the guy who took my order says it should still be available, although it is not in stock at Leslie's and is backordered from the manufacturer. I'm told that it should be delivered to me in 2-3 weeks.

I hope that this time this order actually results in something delivered. If not, I predict a filing in small claims court. :twisted:

Titanium

Stranger and stranger. Now the Leslie's website shows the "sale price" today at $1997.49. That is quite a difference from yesterday's "sale price" of $509.99. :shock:

No wonder Leslie's is having "problems" delivering this unit to me. Looks like someone has made a fairly major boo-boo in the website listing.

However, for a difference of roughly $1500 in Leslie's "new" price as versus the price that I bought it at, I am willing to go to the mat with them on this issue. :-D

Stay tuned.

Titanium

There are several Aqualogic controllers. I suspect the lower priced one was the P4 and the higher priced one was the PS4. Make sure you know which model you are getting.

Hayward Aqua Logic PS4 Controller

Item#

Product
Qty Price

Hayward Aqua Logic PS4 Controller
Regular: $2,349.95
Sale: $1,997.49

A truly user friendly programmable pool/spa control. Combines the convenience of wireless automation and the H-40 Salt Water Chlorine Generator

Waterbear,

The controller is the Hayward Aqua Logic PS4, not the lower priced P4. Here is the webpage in question.

Again, up until the last couple of days, the regular price shown for this page was $599.99 and the sale price was shown as $509.99. So the new prices are just a tad bit in excess of inflation.

Titanium

[web]http://www.lesliespool.com/shopping/product/detailmain.jsp?itemID=14855&itemType=PRODUCT&iMainCat=778&iSubCat=779&iProductID=14855[/web]

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Leslie's offered a product for sale at a certain price, and I purchased that product at the offered price. Hence, we have a contract. If Leslie's does not deliver the product at the offered (and accepted) price, they will have not fulfilled their end of the contract. Failure to honor a contract will often end up in court.

I don't want to end up in court. I only want what I ordered.

If Leslie's feels that the advertised sale price of $509.99 is too low, then they should raise it for future purchasers (which it appears they have now done).

Titanium

Legally I believe that they don't have to honor the listed price if it was a typo or honest mistake of some kind. Some vendors will honor such mistakes despite not having to in order to maintain customer loyalty.

This is copied right out of the terms of service.
"ORDER ACCEPTANCE
The receipt of an e-mail order confirmation does not constitute the acceptance of an order or a confirmation of an offer to sell. Leslie's Swimming Pool Supplies reserves the right, with notification, to limit the order quantity on any item and/or refuse service to any customer. Verification of information may be required prior to the acceptance of any order."

Since this pretty much says exactly what I had said earlier I stopped looking for the typographical error statement although I am pretty sure it is going to be somewhere on the site as well. I think you would fair much better making a phone call to the corporate office instead of trying a law suit that is going to fail miserably.

poolio and JasonLion,

Thanks for your replies and thoughts on the matter.

There is no lawsuit contemplated at this point because Leslie's hasn't backed out of the phone order I did several days ago.

It will be interesting to see if Leslie's honors this order or whether they don't.

Stay tuned.

Titanium

I am pretty sure they will honor it if not get pretty close to it. I can tell you for a fact that the price that was listed is actually below cost on that item and was just a glitch in the system. If you have problems like I said talk to someone in customer service, not in the mail order department as leslies has the best service in the business.

Attachments

• New pictures Donwlaoded Dec 12 004.jpg
    New pictures Donwlaoded Dec 12 004.jpg
    156.1 KB · Views: 24
  • New pictures Donwlaoded Dec 12 017.jpg
    New pictures Donwlaoded Dec 12 017.jpg
    169.7 KB · Views: 24
Quick Update:

So far I have received the following items from Leslie's on my AquaLogic PS4 system:

100 Amp panel with PS4 main circuit board and PS4 local display (HPC-PS-4)
2 Goldline GVA-24 actuators
Wireless "tabletop" remote display GLX-Tx-RF-PS-4
Base Receiver (for wireless) AQL-BASE-RF
Chlorination Kit (includes H-40 chlorinator cell, flow switch, and 2 unions) HPC-CL

I'm still waiting on delivery for the floating, waterproof remote.

I'm still awaiting installation, so I have been busy reading product manuals and have even called Goldline Technical Support with a couple of questions. Things I have learned so far:

- 3 temperature inputs (air, pool/spa, and solar)
- 2 heater relays
- 4 valve actuator outputs (the fourth valve actuator and the second heater share a common relay - it can not do both).
- four 120/240 volt relay outputs (designated as filter pump, lights, aux 1, and aux 2, but all can be configured for any use)
- I have an existing Goldline GL-35 solar controller and Goldline GVA-24 valve actuator for a solar system. I was pleasantly surprised to learn that the PS4 will incorporate these functions internally, thus enabling me to get rid of the GL-35 and clean up my existing installation.
- The main circuit board in a PS4 system and a PS8 system are identical. The local display being a PS4 or a PS8 display dictates whether you have a PS4 or a PS8 system.
- You can buy a PS8 upgrade kit in order to change a PS4 to a PS8. This option is not shown on the Hayward website, but the part number is AQL-PS8-UPGRADE. The kit appears to consist of a PS8 local display and 4 additional 220 Volt, 25 Amp, 2-pole relays (24 VAC coil).
- there is an option for adding a fifth 120/240 volt relay output (in addition to the four that are part of the PS4 system), but it requires that you aren't using the fourth valve actuator output. GoldLine shows a list price of $65 for part number GLX-RELAY for an additional relay, but you can buy the relay at Digikey or Mouser Electronics for about $16 or so (Omron G7L-2A-BUBJ-CB-24DC). You will need the "industry standard" 3-pin connector that would normally be on the end of a valve actuator to go from the valve actuator circuit board location to the new relay. The supposedlly "industry standard" 3-pin connector may be an "industry standard" for pool valve actuators, but in reality it is a very hard to find, oddball connector.
- in fact, one could add a SIXTH 120/240 Volt relay output by using the third valve actuator output in a manner just described above, but this will not work for me since I will be using this third valve actuator for my solar diverter valve actuator.
- I will have to buy 15 amp, 240 Volt circuit breakers - one for my filter pump and one for my cleaner booster pump. I will also need a 15 amp, 120 volt GFI breaker for the spa and pool lighting circuits. These breakers were not included in the PS4 power/control panel.

This is quite a powerful and neat system, but it is nowhere near worth the "regular" price of $2350 or the "sale" price of $2000. The main unit is only a steel box with the guts of a lighting panel inside, a microprocessor board, a local display, and four high voltage relays. If I had not stumbled across this Leslie's "deal of the century", I think I would be very tempted to put together a pool controller using one of the off-the-shelf microprocesso-based board-level controllers myself. One would still need to buy the valve actuators for about $100 each, of course. And don't even get me started on how overpriced the salt chlorination cell is. Truly, a chlorination cell should only cost $100 or so based on what is involved (titanium plates with a DC voltage applied).

Titanium

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.