Grounded, Bonded and generally confussed!

Good Afternoon!

First let me say that I have been reading this forum for the past week and it has been a God send! Pool school was awesome! I just converted to a SWG system and with reading the posts here, my pool finally looks great. No more Baqaucil… This is so much cheaper and cleaner. I am so glad to be free of the local pool store people telling me to add this and that and it will only cost you $134 and it still doesn't work!!!

Anyway, on to my issue. I have had an above ground pool for 3 years. Finally made the switch over. Did the switch myself since that way I was sure it would get done right. The SWG is an AquaRite. Hook up was fairly strait forward, but I am lost in the grounding issues. Prior to the SWG, the pump was simply plugged into a heavy duty extension cord (I have been meaning to run an separate line out there). The extension cord is than plugged into an outlet with an external GFI unit.

There is a lug for connecting the AqauRite to the pools bonding system. The pool does not have any bonding system installed and has no metal in it other than a few screws around the skimmer.

I have a grounding rod and #6 wire, I was initially thinking about using, but than I realized the SWG would be grounded to it’s own source, but the pump wouldn’t be, causing a difference in potential?

My questions are:
1) What do I need to do? Should I just go as is, put in a rod and ground the SWG and pump (if possible), put in an outlet and ground that with the rod (since both will be plugged into it) or do I need to do something else?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

p.s. While I await any help I am goign to go and check on the pools "carbonation level" with and adult beverage! :cheers:

If your pump has a bonding lug, connect the bonding lug on the pump to the lug on the SWCG. I'll elaborate more later when I have a few minutes.

John

Does the pool have a light with a metal shell or a metal ladder? Anything metal, whether part of the pool or not, that is within 5ft of the edge of the pool?

If you have any of those things, they need to be connected to the bonding wire. If the SWCG is the only thing you have that has a bonding lug, and you don't have anything metal bigger than 4" in any dimension, then I don't think you need to worry about bonding. If you replace any equipment or install anything new, you need to consider whether it needs to be bonded to the other equipment.

There was never a bonding wire from the coming to the pump. Which is why I was wondering if I need to bond the pump to the SWG.

If your pump is double-insulated, which is common in AG pools, no bond wire connection at the pump is required. Code requires a bond wire be in place in case a non-double-insulated pump is installed as a replacement.

Rob,
Good point. But since they are covered with vinyl I negated them. Maybe I shouldn't have. They just started following building codes 2 years ago where i live, so it is hard to find anyone with the slightest idea of what I am talking about. Heck, I don't even know what I am talking about other than I don't want to electrocute someone!!

Dave

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.