beginner in Spain but don't speak spanish! Help!

Jul 19, 2009
My husband and I have just got a new place with a pool and I am having a few problems. I have read and read but just wanted to ask a few things....

1. Our pool return jets are above the surface of the pool. If I wanted them to be under, the level of the water would be way above half way up the skimmer baskets. What is the best way to configure them as result of this? Should I angle them down in to the pool, or horizontally out to create a flow to the skimmer (we have a rectangular pool)? btw, we are renting this house so wont be doing any major works on remodelling the pool - we are stuck with what we have got.

2. I am sure the pool is leaking somewhere. Last night I filled it and it lost just under an inch of water overnight. I am having to top it up twice a week, making a total of about 6 inches a week at least. I am living in Madrid though, and temperatures are around 35-40 degrees most days. It is a very dry climate too. Is it possible this is just evaporation???? Our water bills will be huge!!!! I am going to do a bucket test tomorrow but its hard with my 5 month old daughter to look after all day ;-)

3. If the pool is actually leaking and I try to discover where it might be (pressure side etc), how do I see whether the filter is leaking water into the waste pipe? (i.e the multiport gasket might be dodgy). It is all closed up and I can't see any water flowing anywhere. I think the waste goes straight into the municipal drainage system. Is this wrong? Am I missing a really obvious thing that would allow to check to see if this is a problem?? (I think we may be losing most water when the pump is running, just from my eyeballing the levels).

4. One more - when I was testing my water, the TA kept coming out really low. I looked all over for something to raise this in the pool shop (its all in Spanish but I just about get by!) but couldn't find anything. Then I got my husband to ask the shop owners and they said that noone bothers to raise it here. Is this correct? I can't find any TA raisers on sale anywhere. The pool guy indicated that we would be forever trying to the raise the TA and therefore not to bother. I thought it was important but it seems that in Europe, people don't worry about it. What would you recommend?

I am sorry if these questions have come up before, I keep searching and will continue to do so. I hope it all makes sense.

Elle

1. not sure exactly what you're saying but the correct water level for an inground pool is about halfway up the skimmer. those must be really high jets.
2. sounds like it is.
3. over my head. others here more versed in your setup will have advice.
4. how are you testing? I recommend reading the pool chemistry section of pool-school/ TA is important and you will find how to raise it there, with something really easy that I bet they sell even in spain ;)

They must sell baking soda even in Spain.....don't they bake there? :wink:

When you say above half way, how high up? I'd be concerned with the jets above the water surface, as it would be constant aeration, requiring frequent adjustments of PH/TA.

if i have the water level at halfway up the skimmer, the jets are about an inch higher than the level of the water. No idea why you would put them so high up. Is it worth adjusting the TA bearing this in mind?

At the shop, the guy said that all the pools in this area had the same TA and that if we adjusted it, we would only have to keep doing so on a very regular basis and therefore it wasn't worth it. Is this just a way to get us to buy more PH correcting stuff?!

It's more likely he just doesn't understand pool chemistry correctly. TA stabilizes PH. You don't want TA lower than 60. Depending on your chlorine source, the appropriate level varies. If you use trichlor, you want a higher TA, like 120, PH 7.6. If you use bleach, a lower TA is sufficient. The higher the TA and the more aeration (like your pool) the more likely the PH will frequently rise, causing the need for acid to lower the PH. It's possible in your pool the prior owner had aeration issues and used acid so much the TA is not registering.

Baking Soda will raise it up, you want it to be at least 60. 70 would be fine, even with your aeration source. I think if you went 3/4 up on the skimmer you might be okay, right? Would the jets then be under the water line?

Are you sure those are the returns? Sounds more like aerators which may be able to be turned off with a valve.

Most inground pools here have aerators that are about an inch above the water line - which are used to cool the water at night as you point them upward for a fountain type effect. You don't run them all the time. You turn them on/off with a valve over by the equipment pad.

A quick Google search and I find it is indeed difficult to find baking soda in Spain.
baking soda = bicarbonato de sodio/soda/sosa or bicarbonato sódico. Look/ask for it in the pharmacy section.

they are the only jets we have in the pool so i think they must be the returns. it is only a small pool.

I have been testing and always found the TA was incredibly low. But then they don't tell me the numbers at the pool shop - I may have to go and insist they tell me. Without altering the TA, I have found the pH to be on the low side. Would this make sense?

Oh its driving me nuts! The guy talks to me like I am some kind of idiot for asking about the TA and that I'm a fool to even think about it. However, I think I will try to alter the TA with baking soda (the search begins.....), perhaps once the landlady gets someone in to fix the leak.....!

ellexesse said:
However, I think I will try to alter the TA with baking soda (the search begins.....)

Elle,

In German, baking soda is Natron or Natrium. In Spanish, it's el natron. You might check at the grocery store for small packages. In Germany they're normally packaged four envelopes in shrink wrap, maybe they do a similar thing in Spain. Once you identify the product you can ask at a bakery where to get larger sizes.

Best of luck!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.