Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Brand New to TFP, looking for opinions on pool kit suppliers

1. Back To Top    #1

Brand New to TFP, looking for opinions on pool kit suppliers

Hey all,
    I am going to do a pool build myself and am looking for opinions on online pool kit suppliers and/or TFP recommended suppliers. I have briefly looked over the entire forum and I am hooked on what appears to be a very informative resource. I did not search hard for any posts by someone doing the same thing I want to do, so if anyone knows of any please direct me. Also, all opinions and suggestions are welcome. Thanks for your time and I look forward to a long and informative relationship, Rick.
    Warm Regards,

Leslie

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Brand New to TFP, looking for opinions on pool kit suppliers

The three test kits that are recommended here at TroubleFreePool.Com are the Taylor K-2006, the Leslie's Chlorine FAS-DPD Service Test Kit, and the TF Test Kit's TF100. All three kits test Free Chlorine and Combined Chlorine using the FAS-DPD titration test, pH, Total Alkalinity, Calcium Hardness, and Cyanuric Acid.
    Test Kits Compared

I have been using a frankenstein kit (modified Leslie's "Complete" [K-2005] to replace the DPD chlorine test with a Taylor FAS-DPD vial, powder, titrant) and over time have oversized some of the titrants I use a lot: R-0013 (CYA), R-0010 and R-0012, R-0871. It's perfect for my needs... I would have gone with a two-ounce commercial kit but find some titrants last forever, hence the need for the mixture of sizes.
    14,555 gal in-ground 16'x29' white plaster Pool w/spa (2007); Goldline Aqua Logic AQL-PS-8 control w/Aqua Cell 15 Salt Water Chlorination (SWCG); Hayward TriStar 1HP (1.85 SF) main / 1.5HP (1.60 SF) spa pumps; Hayward Swimclear cart filter C4025, ColorLogic LED lights; Tankless SP-18-4 electric heater; Polaris 280 cleaner.
    __
    View of spiral galaxy in Ursa Major NGC6217 - Hubble Telescope 2009

3. Back To Top    #3

One source for the K-2006 would be here.

If there's anything to complain about wrt the TF100, it's that there's way too much of some things you don't need much of (mainly R-0007 and R-0008). If you look around on the forum you'll see a couple posts grousing about how the graduated cylinders aren't 100% accurate. But overall I think the TF100 is the better deal and the customer service has no equal.
    --paulr
    BBB "Intermediate Swimmer"
    IG plaster pool 18.5K gal, Hayward Pro-Grid DE filter, 3/4 HP Hydramax II; Polaris 380, 3/4 HP booster
    AG spa 325 gal, probably Sundance of some kind
    Water testing instructions on one page

4. Back To Top    #4

I think pensadawg is looking at DIY pool kits and not test kits.

I looked around at National Pool Wholesalers and PoolManDan. I settled on going with my local pool store. I found it alot cheaper for the size of pool I was looking for and free shipping plus I could do a lay away if you will.

Waste and I started a handfull of DIY threads in this forum. They are Part 1 Know the Code and Your Yard, Part 2 Site Prep and Digging, Part 3 Style and Depth, Part 4 Putting Up Steel and Squaring, Part 5 Plumbing and Lighting, Part 6 Leveling and Pouring the collar, Part 7 Electrical.

Hope this helps in some way. I know it has empowered me to start my build and feel confidant in 2011. If you have any questions, just raise the thread! And when you start, you have to post a lot of pics! I mean A LOT of pics for us visual learners!

Welcome to TFP!
    I'd bet you my bikini you'll never get TFP water from a pool store!

24' Sharkline Venture De Filter

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by Casey
    I think pensadawg is looking at DIY pool kits and not test kits.
    Doh! Should've noticed this was in Under Construction.
    --paulr
    BBB "Intermediate Swimmer"
    IG plaster pool 18.5K gal, Hayward Pro-Grid DE filter, 3/4 HP Hydramax II; Polaris 380, 3/4 HP booster
    AG spa 325 gal, probably Sundance of some kind
    Water testing instructions on one page

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by PaulR
    Doh! Should've noticed this was in Under Construction.
    Oops. My bad. I mis-started the reply to this thread and should have re-read the topic a few times before my reply. Mea culpa.

Greg
    14,555 gal in-ground 16'x29' white plaster Pool w/spa (2007); Goldline Aqua Logic AQL-PS-8 control w/Aqua Cell 15 Salt Water Chlorination (SWCG); Hayward TriStar 1HP (1.85 SF) main / 1.5HP (1.60 SF) spa pumps; Hayward Swimclear cart filter C4025, ColorLogic LED lights; Tankless SP-18-4 electric heater; Polaris 280 cleaner.
    __
    View of spiral galaxy in Ursa Major NGC6217 - Hubble Telescope 2009

7. Back To Top    #7

i bought a kafco from National Pool Wholesalers, was satisfied with the quality and they always got back to me, sometimes it took a bit, but everything was shipped to my door. The video and some of the directions sucked though, looked like it was produced in 1970's.. Wish I would have known about TFP before i started....
    Lebanon Pa ( So Cent Pa)
    17,000 gal.
    self installed Vinyl
    SWG, 500#sand filter 3 hp hayward
    "Heat Siphon"electric heat pump