Cal-Hypo 73%

Cal-hypo does have the advantage that it keeps a long time, compared to liquid chlorine sources that degrade in days or weeks depending on temperature. I keep some in reserve but use bleach or liquid chlorine most of the time.

Like, if I need to bump the FC up by 14, which is a LOT but maybe I found a dead squirel in the pool or something weird like that and need to shock right away, I can add less than 4 scoops of cal-hypo and that adds about 10 to the CH number. OTOH, to do that with bleach takes over 5 gallons and I rarely have that on hand. So, I'd suggest keeping a few doses in reserve, whatever it would take to *start* shocking your pool, just to give you time to run out and locate a lot of bleach if you don't have much on hand.

ybnormal said:
Ok I know I should have be using bleach, but ran out and had a little cal-hypo 73% bump up FC to 4. Any downside to using it every now and then to get rid of what I have left?

Thanks,
YBnormal...have a pool

I use Cal-Hypo as my main sanitizer on the pools I take care of, either add slowly to the skimmer or pre-dissolve in water before adding to the pool (yes the container says no need to pre-dissolve, but play it safe)

I don't really have hard water problems in my area, but you might in yours.

You also might have some temporary clouding when you add it to the pool.

Here is an article I have.
http://www.x-pertpool.com/Upside & downside of pool & spa sanitizers.htm

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.