target CYA after i get the pool clear..

Jul 19, 2009
I had a bloom that i feel I am getting under control..
I stumbled on this site while trying to figure this yellow/brown "dust" I had on my pool floor for quite some time.
PH is 7.8
Fc is 10* ( I havent got my new test kit in yet) 10 is the max on this kit) I added 3 1.42 gal bottles of clorox last night)
al is 120
Cya appears to be 60 (still waiting on the new test kit this is a strip result for cya) uggghh i know :p

this morning after nuking the pool the green is gone and the floor is fairly clean.. i swept again and it seems to be alot less material than yesterday
I added another 1.42 G of bleach and plan to buy another 6 bottles today when i get to sams

My question is should I use the pucks I bought from walmart? they are trichlor.. I think that they may be adding WAAAY too much stabilizer to my pool..
and what would the target CYA level be I don't feel comfortable having a regular FC level around 10+ I have kids swimming in there :)

30' AB pool
Pentair dynamo 1HP
Sanddollar sand filter

ps...
this is a wonderful site for info on pool maintenance.. much better than the pool store all they want is $$$

think that they may be adding WAAAY too much stabilizer to my pool..
That's exactly what they are doing. 60 is as high as you would ever want your CYA in that pool......40-50 would be better.

I would stop using the pucks immediately (save them for when you go on vacation) and start to chlorinate with Clorox perhaps for the rest of the summer.

BTW, read the "How to Shock your Pool" up in Pool School. You will find it is sustained elevated dosage of chlorine that will clear your pool and give you crystal clear water.

Removing the puck floater now..
The pool store tried telling me that the $50 bottle of copper algaecide would be the only thing to kill the algae bloom i had..
Im soo glad I stumbled on this site before I went to the pool store.
Ill hold the FC levels high for a couple more days and keep sweeping and praying :p
The water looks like it has tiny whitish particles floating around in it I have been running the pump 24H a day for the last 3 days ..
Thanks for the quick response.. I have been pulling my hair out the last year or so.. The pool was here when we bought the house I have had 0 pool experience prior to this one.
I think with the BBB method I may be able to do this after all

heres some pics the day after i nuked it.. It used to havea very eerie green haze.. thats gone now now it seems to have a grey white haze.. so i guess the chlorine is doing its job

I also forgot to mention that I added 3 5 oz bags of Yellow treat ( Sodium Bromide) 88.8%
much to my dismay after reading about it tho... I am keeping a close eye on the FC levels as I hear that these products tend to make chlorine dissappear.

Attachments

• 0719091144a.jpg
    0719091144a.jpg
    210.9 KB · Views: 191
  • 0719091144b.jpg
    0719091144b.jpg
    141.1 KB · Views: 190
  • 0719091146a.jpg
    0719091146a.jpg
    135.4 KB · Views: 190
Well, I think you're getting a pretty good command of the things to look for. Keeping your chlorine up high (Yeah, the yellow out is not great stuff) for the next couple of days (don't let it go back down) will probably have your pool starting to sparkle. Keep your eye on filter pressure and backwash/clean as needed. brush the sides and vacuum or stir up the bottom as often as practicable......that'll help your filter clean your water up.

4 days later... kept fc levels at max for my kit... added about 1.43 gallons of bleach a day for 4 days test kit says 10(max)
looks cleaner but it doesnt sparkle yet..
still hoping to get that new kit soon
0723091839a.jpg

0723091840a.jpg

i've been running the filter 24 hrs a day
can the high ch levels make the water dull looking? I my cya has strangely enoguh went from 100+ on the test strip to 50-60 renage .. all we got was like 4 in of rain? not sure if thats enough to lower the cya that much.. but as long as it gets lower im happy..
i think i may need to have my sand "cleaned" and maybe add some de to it it is not filtering as well as it should I think.
It seems that after 4 days of high fc levels and 24/7 filtering it should be more clear by now , right?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.