Back from vacation with a green pool!

victoria4504

LifeTime Supporter
May 29, 2009
Baltimore, Maryland
Returned from a week's vacation yesterday and found green water in the pool and was too tired to do much more than pour a bottle of bleach in the pool. This morning I tested the pool water and got these results:

FC: 8.5
CC: 0
TC: 8.5
pH: 7.8
TA: 80
CH: 130
CYA: 30

The first thing I did was go to the Pool Calculator and found out how much bleach to add to bring the FC level up to shock. I added 112 oz. of bleach. THEN I read that I should have taken care of the high pH first.

What should I do now? Should I lower the pH and then continue shocking the pool or should I continue shocking the pool until the algae is gone and not worry about the pH at this time?

Please help and thank you!

Okay, I shocked the pool water at 10:00 a.m. with enough bleach to put the FC level at 15. I checked the FC level again at 1:30 p.m. and the FC is down to 9.5. So I should now try to adjust the pH level to around 7.5 ish and then continue to shock the water until the green disappears and the overnite FC test remains stable?

Also, what do you think the best product is to lower the pH? In the past I used Lo n' Slo. Using muriatic acid sounds somewhat hazardous. What do most folks use?

Thanks again!

Vicky

you can lower it. most people use muriatic acid. don't breathe the fumes or shower in it and you should be ok. it is pretty heavy duty stuff. they do make dry acid which I suppose is that product you mentioned. I would immediately raise your fc back to shock level. you can adjust the ph anytime now that you know what it is for sure. maybe add about 2/3 the recommended amount since your ph isn't even out of range really, to avoid dropping it too low since you won't be able to test.

I'm confused now. All day yesterday (5 times), I checked my FC levels and added bleach to keep the water at shock level. I brushed the pool twice, cleaned off some black looking stuff from my return flap, backwashed the filter twice, added about 2 inches of water, and took the steps (which were a little green) out of the pool and cleaned them.

The last FC reading I took at 11:30 last night was 11 so I added 70 oz. of bleach. I just tested the water today at 11:30 am and my FC level was 11.5?????

But my water is still green!! I am now going to test everything again...be right back! :)

Okay, here's the numbers:

FC: 11
CC: 0
TC: 11
pH: 7.8
TA: 90
CH: 130
CYA: 50

Since yesterday morning's readings:

TA changed from 80 to 90
CYA changed from 30 to 50

Help, what is happening and what should I do?

Thanks, Vicky

Help, what is happening and what should I do?
The chlorine is being consumed by the algae in your pool. While killing algae, chlorine is likewise consumed.

You must keep replenishing the chlorine back up to shock level (as often as practicable) until your pool is crystal clear. This may take several days.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.