SWG with a Vinyl IG?

Aug 7, 2017
Central IL
We are looking at putting in a SWG in our vinyl IG that is to be built next spring. The PB says SWGs are not a good idea with a vinyl liner. I've been interested in one though in that it sounds (haha!) like it is less "work" than a traditional chlorine pool? Pros/cons of SWG? Thanks!

Ask your builder why he is against them. The salt will have 0 impact on the vinyl liner and all pools end up with salt in them which comes from all source of chlorine.

We have 1000s of members with SWGs with few if any reported problems with vinyl pools.

I'm in Southern Indiana where steel pools are the norm. The standard response from all builders here is that a SWCG is a bad idea due to risk of corrosion of the pool walls and other things around the pool. They don't say 'no', but they say that they want to make people aware. I think it's hogwash and I'm surprised at the prevalence of this response from pool builders given my understanding of the lack of any real appreciable risk...

Dan

I'm in Southern Indiana where steel pools are the norm. The standard response from all builders here is that a SWCG is a bad idea due to risk of corrosion of the pool walls and other things around the pool. They don't say 'no', but they say that they want to make people aware. I think it's hogwash and I'm surprised at the prevalence of this response from pool builders given my understanding of the lack of any real appreciable risk...

Dan

Exactly. My PB says that it can cause corrosion for the steel walls. I don't get it though because as you point out, it's all chlorine just the same.

Is there a price advantage for a SWG? From what I got in Pool School, it sounded like more initially, but less overall. Does any bleach need to be added for SWG? When I discussed the TFP method, he said that bleach will also bleach out the color in the vinyl. Thoughts?

he said that bleach will also bleach out the color in the vinyl.

What does he expect to use - magic?!

Proves that most pool builders have no clue on water chemistry. I would bet he thinks pucks do not add chlorine ---------

The cost of SWCG versus liquid chlorine is essentially a wash. You buy your chlorine up front with the SWCG. Or you buy it everyday with liquid chlorine.
The convenience factor of the SWCG then kicks in.

I add bleach in the winter when my pool water gets below 70F as my SWCG is turned off. Use about a gallon or two a year.

Be sure to size the rating for the SWCG to be at least 2X your pool volume.

Take care.

If you have a bleach pool you learn to balance your FC.
If you have a swg pool you learn to balance your PH.
If you have a pool treated with "Magic" you learn to like a green pool.
A properly balanced pool will last longer no matter the chlorination method.
Like Marty says the cost is a wash, the convenience is what makes the wife and me happy, just turn the little dial one way or the other ;)

What does he expect to use - magic?!

Proves that most pool builders have no clue on water chemistry. I would bet he thinks pucks do not add chlorine.

Magic, now that would be awesome! They are recommending EZ Pool, although he mentioned that in his own personal pool, he runs chlorine. He told me to research it and see what makes the most sense for us.

So living in the frozen tundra called the Midwest, if I go with a SWG, would I still add chlorine during the winter?

- - - Updated - - -

Like Marty says the cost is a wash, the convenience is what makes the wife and me happy, just turn the little dial one way or the other ;)

And that is why we are thinking pretty hard about a SWG. Since we have agreed (well, more like I conceded) that the one using the pool the most gets to add the chemicals and do the up-keep (that'd be me LOL), I want to make this as easy as possible of a process. I'm great at turning dials, just ask the hubby! SWG just make sense if it is indeed easier.

One thing though, with SWG, is there any real con to them? And should I put any faith in what my PB says about using them with a vinyl IG?

Search EZpool on this site.
At 65 degrees my swg kind of stops putting out chlorine.
65 degrees is roughly where algae and pathogens stop being a problem.
So around that temp I add a bit of bleach until pool temp hits 60 for a daytime high, add bleach to shock and watch it turn into a 24 foot hockey puck. Winterizing all critical components of course.

As far as winter goes -- Lou knows about that!:)

A cool summer day in Illinois is colder than the winter at my house!

Biggest thing with SWCG is to manage pH. Out of control pH is what corrodes metals.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Had a little thought about this
You are putting in a brand new liner with j hook or other fastening device and coping no doubt, if that leaks through to the steel we have an install problem, not a salt problem should last ten years easy.
Now what about the outside of the steel form walls? Spraying them with black jack? What is to protect that half of the wall, that is better then a new vinyl liner? Does your builder test and adjust the ph of the soil before setting in the steel? You will be monitoring the PH of the inside.

Not sure why your builder is telling you that. Our PB has installed (along with ours) multiple steel wall pools (vinyl) with SWG's. Not one mention of corrosion problems from him. So far in the 2 months we have had ours, the biggest problem was trying to dial in the chemistry and figuring out run time % for the SWG.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.