Sand filter trouble

Jul 19, 2009
Hi Everyone,
I have a Hayward sand filter and I was having problems with the green algae pumping back in the pool when I vacuum. I changed the sand 250# and checked the lateral lines and all piping. I still have the same problem. The only way I can clean my pool is use flock and vac. to waste. Any ideas?

Hi, Paul,

Welcome to the forum.

If you have green algae, you need chlorine in your pool. No filter will filter green algae from your pool. Your sand filter may have some issues or not but it will never get rid of algae....not will any other type filter.

There are several good articles in Pool School to get you started. Particularly the ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry will explain the importance of chlorine. Post bakc with lots of questions. You'll find all the help you need to get your pool sparkling.

Paul, when algae is alive in your pool, it is a living, reproducing organism. It simply continues to multiple in your pool, regardless of how much you filter.

When you kill the algae dead (with chlorine).....all of it....your pool will not look green but usually grey. Now, all that's left is the "carcasses", these are filtered out by your filter (and I'm sure decompose quickly, too).

Adequate chlorine levels is the key to never let algae get started but once it does, the high doses of chlorine (shocking) is what needs to be done to cure it.

Live "green" algae usually makes it right back to the pool if you try to vac it up while it's alive, dead algae (grey powery stuff) will get caught but will clog the filter quickly, vac live algae on waste and even large amounts of dead I would vac on waste as well.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Paul,

Do not vacuum to waste to get the algae out of your pool. it will not work.

1. Kill the lagae with constant high levels of clorox.

2. When you've got stuff on the bottom of the pool, vac to waste or into your filter depending on if you can stand the water loss or not.

Thanks Dave,
I put 5 lbs of chlorine in last night and it did nothing. PH 7.6. 25,000 gallons. Is it possible to get bad chlorine. I ask because here in Costa Rica there is no regulation or enforcement of consumer products. You have to be careful about everything. Let the buyer beware was never truer. Can I test the stuff. It says 90% but may be 30% who knows.
Thanks
Paul

hello Paul
If you have been using trichlor, [Trichloroisocyanuric acid] and you used it for a long time. Then you probably have too much CYA in the pool. This will make it next to impossible to clear up your pool.

The best thing you could do is get a test kit which tests cya and ch cl ph. etc and tell us the results.

I got a TF test kit, smartest thing i did, because then you know what your pool is doing.

And read pool school twice :lol:

Happy swims
Frank
http://www.tftestkits.net/

PaulJohnston said:
Yes I can get Clorox here. How much should I add? 25,000 gallons water.
Paul

Without knowing your CYA level, we can only guess. 6 small jugs of Clorox will raise your FC up to a shock level of 10, which is as high as I would suggest until you confirm your CYA level. If your CYA level is higher, so is the shock level - refer to the CYA chart.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.