Whoops, Put conditioner right in pool

Aug 20, 2017
LINCROFT, NJ
My chlorine levels were not rising and I was burining through tabs pretty fast. At the advice of
my local pool store they had my add Conditioner. Well like a complete newbie, I just poured the stuff right in the pool. Then when I noticed it wasn't dissolving, I looked at the instructions and noticed it said to dissolve in hot water first. So now I have a bunch of white particles of conditioner sitting in the deep end of my pool. Will it eventually dissolve? Should I vacume it up? Will it stain the liner?

I have a 25k gallon pool with liner, DE filter and 2 skimmers.

Hi, welcome to TFP! Go ahead and vacuum it up. It will dissolve slowly and can potentially damage the liner if allowed to sit there for long periods of time.

How long have you been using tablets? Is trichlor the main active ingredient? The problem may not be your conditioner level. Do you have a set of current test results you can post?

I've been using tabs since I got the pool. About 2 months. I had the water tested at a local pool store, and they told me to add it after I explained how my chlorine levels were not staying up even after I kept adding more tabs. I'll have to look for the results of the test, if I find I will post.

Just confirming that vacuuming that up into the de will not damage the filter?

It won't hurt the filter. You can backwash the filter or you can allow it to dissolve in the filter. Personally I would backwash it out and recharge the filter. It won't hurt anything to leave it in there, but it will take forever to dissolve.

We recommend that our members use an FAS/DPD test kit and test their own water. You will get more consistent, reliable results than you will get from pool store testing. You can test when you need to and not have to wait until you have time to run by the pool store. We recommend the Taylor K2006 or the TF 100 to test the pool. If you would like to learn more about the TFP pool care method you can read ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry and Pool School - What is TFPC?.

If you have never added conditioner to your water then you may need to add some, however if you are using trichlor based tablets it does add some CYA (aka conditioner, stabilizer) with each tablet. You have to keep an eye on your CYA levels, as you may have to drain water if it gets too high. It doesn't sound like that is your problem yet, but it is something to watch for.

Welcome to TFP!

Are you in Lincroft NJ? Also, did you purchased powdered conditioner or liquid? Most pool stores like to sell the liquid stuff. If liquid, you can vacuum & pick up in the skimmer and this will dissolve pretty quickly.

Everything else that has been recommended on the forum is worth looking into. Please add your signature so each post will show all your information. It is important that you stop using pool store advice. No need to get into why as there are hundreds of posts on incorrect test results, advice and purchasing expensive chemicals that are not needed.

Please keep us posted!

I am in Lincroft, NJ! I will keep an eye out for the liquid stuff. I vacuumed up the grandulars late yesterday, and everything seems fine. Pressure on the D.E. seems ok, and no strange noises. So all good. I'm assuming its ok to swim while this stuff is circulating in the filter?

Thanks for all the advice! I can tell this is a forum I will be spending a lot of time on. ;)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.